MOT/TAX/FUEL DUTY/INSURANCE

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:15 pm

New car - 3 years tax in with price.
Older car - TAX charged with MOT - price dependant on emissions.
No TAX - put up fuel duty - the more you use, the more you pay.
Insurance - Electronic emitter on all vehicles - insurance companies to keep activated if vehicle maintains insurance cover - disabled if cover revoked.
Just a few weird and wonderful ideas to ponder :!:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby JamesH » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:18 pm

I think simplifying the MOT / tax business would make sense. By merging the two you could check if a vehicle has a valid MOT just by looking at a disc that would replace the current tax disc.
JamesH

Postby Nigel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:15 pm

I'm against road tax, were taxed enough already, and as for the mot....what a laugh, it achieves almost nothing...scrap it.

Insure the person rather than the car, issue them with something that needs to be inserted into the car before it will start.
Nigel

Postby Angus » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Nigel wrote:I'm against road tax, were taxed enough already, and as for the mot....what a laugh, it achieves almost nothing...scrap it.

I don't have a problem with road tax - it's designed as a basic (ie flawed) way of someone checking that a vehicle is insured and MOTed. As for the MOT, I'm sure we all know of a local garage that never fails anything. Remember though when it was first introduced (in the 50s or early 60s?) it was for vehicles 7 years old!

Nigel wrote:Insure the person rather than the car, issue them with something that needs to be inserted into the car before it will start.

This is more to the point. In Australia, road tax includes third party insurance - if you want fire & theft or fully comp you buy it just as we do. Another good idea is Ireland where you have insurance details shown in the windscreen.
Angus

Return to General Car Chat Forum