TV Reporting Whilst Driving - Let Us Do Something About It!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Flexibase » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:17 pm

I realise this has been raised before on at least one other forum, but this is a plea to all to do something about the problem.

All Observers and Instructors place great emphasis on attempting 100% concentratiion whilst driving but we frequently witness appalling examples of the opposite by television reporters.

There was another such example yesterday evening on BBC Television when, I believe it was Fiona Bruce, was reporting on the Ipswich murders using that well-worn-out cliche of talking whilst driving with frequent glances to the camera on her left.

I believe that this is clearly a case of driving without due care and attention and any producer or employer who requires such an act is guilty of the offence of aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring the offence.

If all thinking and caring drivers and riders (and you must be to be reading this) complained to the Health and Safety Manager of TV company concerned after every such instance, with copies to their MP, the Health and Safety Executive (whose Inspectors all regularly take the IAM Fleet Driving Day), we may reach the atage when such activity is banned.

I will now set the example by doing just that and I encourage you all to do likewise.
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby jont » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Nice idea. I'm often annoyed by the same thing. It was a couple of months ago I think where there was a story about dangerous roads, and there was a reporter driving along one of them, one hand on the wheel while narrating to the camera. :roll:

This site is good for contacting your MP:
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/
jont

Postby nuster100 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:59 pm

Yes, and ban music and talking to passengers while you are at it.

Whilst I agree a risk could be posed, I am sure you have done worse in your time driving.

However, I think the chances of this getting banned or even looked at are minute.

Take top gear per example, BBC2's most watched programme. If hammond on pain of death didnt get them to change, you wont.

I know it not what you want to hear, but IMO their are bigger fish to fry atm, drink driving for example.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:24 pm

That'll be the end of Top Gear then! :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby AdamW » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 am

Let them talk, just ban smoking at the wheel. :wink:
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Return to General Car Chat Forum