Things other drivers do that annoy you...disproportionately

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby nuster100 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:13 am

Well, I can only really use 1 eye as the other is 8+ diopters short sighted.

So getting dazzled on that eye = not good.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:39 am

Rear fog lights shining through light fog can cause distracting glare.
waremark

Postby James » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 am

James

Postby nuster100 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:02 pm

James wrote:Image

Tell me a traf pol officer bit his head off.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:54 pm

wenlocksimon wrote:I've never been dazzled by front fog lights.

If front got lights are correctly positioned, they should not cause glare when looked at directly, however many are not aimed correctly and consequently shine too high, causing glare.

The other problem is their use when the roads are wet; sometimes enough light can be reflected off the road surface to cause glare. By themselves this probably would not be a problem, but when used in combination with bright headlights, it can be hard to look at a vehicle.

I think the problem is that if you are looking in the direction of something bright, you tend to try to look slightly away from the brightness, but the addition of front fog lights can make the area you're trying to look away from somewhat larger.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Gareth wrote:

If front got lights are correctly positioned, they should not cause glare when looked at directly, however many are not aimed correctly and consequently shine too high, causing glare.

The other problem is their use when the roads are wet; sometimes enough light can be reflected off the road surface to cause glare. By themselves this probably would not be a problem, but when used in combination with bright headlights, it can be hard to look at a vehicle.

I think the problem is that if you are looking in the direction of something bright, you tend to try to look slightly away from the brightness, but the addition of front fog lights can make the area you're trying to look away from somewhat larger.

But the surely the same effect will be gained with bright headlights only then?
Luke

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Luke wrote:
Gareth wrote:

But the surely the same effect will be gained with bright headlights only then?

I doubt that. Surely if front foglights are in use in addition to headlights, then the total area from which bright light is being emitted is greater. That seems almost certain to exacerbate the problem does it not?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:55 pm

Luke wrote:But the surely the same effect will be gained with bright headlights only then?

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

From the point of view of the driver using well aimed front fog lights, the benefit is that a different (additional) part of the road is illuminated, and this can be very beneficial at night in very foggy conditions.

From the point of view of someone observing illuminated front foglights, then yes, overly bright headlights can have the same effect, which is why there are rules about not 'blinding' other road users through the use of main beam, poorly aligned dipped beam, or above a prescribed power output.
Gareth

Postby kwakba » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:41 pm

Part of the problem with fron fog lights is they tend to be mounted to the bumper rather than the metal work, bumpers easily get knocked (it's what they are for!) so it's easier for them to move out of adjustment easily.

I've never had the aim of my foglights checked on an MOT - to be honest, most of the time they are never even switched on.

The photo of the Jag (I think) is a tad misleading as the photo is taken from the NS of the car, which is the angle the lights are aimed at (to a degree), this is why RHD cars have to have light adjusters - or insulation tape, fitted when taken abroad.
kwakba

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 am

kwakba wrote:The photo of the Jag (I think) is a tad misleading as the photo is taken from the NS of the car, which is the angle the lights are aimed at (to a degree), this is why RHD cars have to have light adjusters - or insulation tape, fitted when taken abroad.

I accept your point as far as the headlights are concerned, assuming they're dipped, but fog lights should be aimed low and straight ahead to provide a wide but even pool of light across the front of a car, to illuminate the left curb and the centre line, but not to provide any distance vision.
Gareth

Postby 7db » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:22 am

I have a theory about Jag drivers in any case.
7db

Postby kwakba » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:27 am

7db wrote:I have a theory about Jag drivers in any case.

To be honest, I'm not sure it can be anything other than a 3 series BMW or a Citroen Saxo!
kwakba

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
Luke wrote:But the surely the same effect will be gained with bright headlights only then?

I'm not sure what you're getting at?

From the point of view of the driver using well aimed front fog lights, the benefit is that a different (additional) part of the road is illuminated, and this can be very beneficial at night in very foggy conditions.

From the point of view of someone observing illuminated front foglights, then yes, overly bright headlights can have the same effect, which is why there are rules about not 'blinding' other road users through the use of main beam, poorly aligned dipped beam, or above a prescribed power output.

What I mean is that headlights are also reflected from the road surface. Also, the current 'trend' is to use the fogs in conjunction with the sidelights, so therefore there is the same, or in fact less output than the headlights alone.

As I have stated, mis-aligned fogs I do have an issue with, but only the same issue that I have with misaligned headlights.

Its just a personal opinion and you dont have to agree :lol: , but I really don't suffer any problems with anyones fog lights being on in addition to their headlights or sidelights, as long as everything is aligned properly.
Luke

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum