How do I become and HGV driver.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:13 pm

You need to be 21 or find a company who will do the young LGV driver scheme - not many of those. Most companies will not employ you as LGV driver till you are 25 because their insurance will not cover you.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:28 pm

That'll likely be a problem for me also being 22. I got your PM ROG, I'll give you a buzz tomorrow at some point.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby kwakba » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:32 am

I would recommend it 100% though, when I took mine and passed I had learnt so much about driving etc. but it took 2 attempts:

(I did take mine with Hampshire Fire and Rescue, but the test was the same, my first training with a company sub contracted by HFRS, I can't remember their name but big blue sign written Lorries. I failed, and to be honest I think it was partly due to lack of training, 1 instructor, 2 students, 3 hours of driving each for 4 days... I also felt the school taught to pass the test rather than to drive a lorry.

My 2nd course was with a HFRS instructor, and was 4 days solid of driving, was knackering but fanastic, really felt like I was learning to drive a lorry on our roads.

Since passing I have had a few long drives in the pump (non-emergency) and have had agency work as a multi drop driver to gain experiance before my EFAD course.

I loved it, has taught me stacks about observatiom, something being a biker I thought I already had in the bag!
kwakba

Postby ROG » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 am

I also felt the school taught to pass the test rather than to drive a lorry.

This is heart of the problem. All learners are taught to do is to pass a test and not how to drive. Unless legislation from government changes this, then we will always have this situation.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:45 pm

ROG wrote: All learners are taught to do is to pass a test and not how to drive. Unless legislation from government changes this, then we will always have this situation.

That's never going to happen while the government (never mind which party is in power) are entirely hung up about statistics, and not what it is that the statistics are measuring. They've spent so long changing the entire education system to this route that there's no chance of fixing driving.
jont

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum