Waved through red lights

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:40 pm

Here's one for you then...

Last night when going to pickup my daughter :roll: I approached the centre of Bristol which is undergoing major, major road works. They were working away resurficing at 10pm (bless them) and had temporarily closed a section of DC and diverted traffic around the block.

I then came up to a permanent set of traffic lights (not temporary) that were on red and stopped (surprise, surprise!) along with a few other vehicles.

Then a workman in a high-viz jacket beckoned traffic through the red lights. It was clear and so I and everyone else proceeded - but I suspect that makes me a law-breaker.

Am I right in assuming only police can direct traffic through red lights?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:57 pm

Slightly related to this, I'd also be interested to know whether people will wait indefinitely for a red light to change or if there's a period you'd wait before treating it as a give way? I tend to always wait unless it's obvious the light isn't working (everyone in every direction has been waiting for a while)...

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Big Err » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:09 pm

martine wrote:Then a workman in a high-viz jacket beckoned traffic through the red lights. It was clear and so I and everyone else proceeded - but I suspect that makes me a law-breaker.

Am I right in assuming only police can direct traffic through red lights?

Workies should not be waving you through red lights. They should either have the lights under manual control, or switched off and using Stop/Go's to direct you.

I don't know what your legal position would be if there was a collision as a result of following a workmans unofficial directions.

Eric
Big Err

Postby ROG » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:46 pm

[quote]Slightly related to this, I'd also be interested to know whether people will wait indefinitely for a red light to change or if there's a period you'd wait before treating it as a give way? I tend to always wait unless it's obvious the light isn't working (everyone in every direction has been waiting for a while)...

Came across my lights stuck on red whilst LGV instructing in Northampton.
Told trainee to treat as a GIVE WAY. We did so and turned safely to the right when an opportunity presented itself. This is LEGAL.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby 7db » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:05 pm

On what grounds is it legal?

There is a maximum red time for a traffic signal which I can't recall -- I suppose if it stays red longer than that then it is no longer a traffic signal?
7db

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm

You can go through a red traffic signal (light) if it's stuck I don't know if there is a time written down or decided by case law.

Work men shouldn't be waving you through signals.

Police constable, traffic wardens, police community support officers and highways agency traffic officers all have powers to direct traffic.
Firefighters have powers to stop and direct traffic in some circumstances but I don't know if this includes directing vehicles through traffic signals.
Standard Dave

Postby PeteG » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Standard Dave wrote:You can go through a red traffic signal (light) if it's stuck I don't know if there is a time written down or decided by case law.

I don't know why, but 2 minutes springs to mind?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby martine » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:32 pm

PeteG wrote: I don't know why, but 2 minutes springs to mind?

No that's the the time for something else entirely... :wink:
Last edited by martine on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Standard Dave wrote:Firefighters have powers to stop and direct traffic in some circumstances but I don't know if this includes directing vehicles through traffic signals.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I saw a fireman waving at me, I'd do what he said and look for the falling building later...
7db

Postby Big Err » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:49 am

PeteG wrote:I don't know why, but 2 minutes springs to mind?

I seem to recall at one time when there was a lot less traffic, 2 minutes was seen as a max red time for traffic signals.

Those were the days..
Big Err

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:32 pm

7db wrote:
Standard Dave wrote:Firefighters have powers to stop and direct traffic in some circumstances but I don't know if this includes directing vehicles through traffic signals.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I saw a fireman waving at me, I'd do what he said and look for the falling building later...

People have always tended to do as we ask in traffic situations, even though we had no legal powers until the 2004 Fire services act. It doesn't specifically mention waving through red lights though!
Rick

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Rick wrote:
7db wrote:

People have always tended to do as we ask in traffic situations, even though we had no legal powers until the 2004 Fire services act. It doesn't specifically mention waving through red lights though!

Thats because your seen as "friend" in all circumstances, and don't have to suffer the "foe" position attributed to police officers....but I guess you knew that anyway.

As for red lights, I can only suggest doing what your gut instinct says, being very careful, and being prepared to defend your actions in court if required to do so, I think it was Von that said you will only ever have mitigation.
Nigel

Postby PeteG » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Nigel wrote:Thats because your seen as "friend" in all circumstances, and don't have to suffer the "foe" position attributed to police officers...

"The fire brigade once got me head out of some railings."
"Did you want them to?"
"No, I used to leave it there when I wasn't using it for school. You can see a lot of the world from railings."
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:11 pm

You need help Pete, you seem to have issues :D
Nigel

Postby OILY PAWS » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 am

Nigel wrote:
Rick wrote:
7db wrote:

Thats because your seen as "friend" in all circumstances, and don't have to suffer the "foe" position attributed to police officers....but I guess you knew that anyway.

As for red lights, I can only suggest doing what your gut instinct says, being very careful, and being prepared to defend your actions in court if required to do so, I think it was Von that said you will only ever have mitigation.

First post here goes, the "new Fire services act" expanded the Fire & Rescue Services beyond our previous one of primacy at Fire incidents, we never used to have any legal need to attend RTC's, nor were we funded for them either, I digress

If I attend an incident that requires the closure or management of traffic on a road I will request the presence of The Police specifically for "Traffic Control Purposes", I would only use my crew/s for that purpose in an emergency, ie if it had to be done ther and then, the question of "managing" a situation at traffic lights, if it was detrimental to the H&S of the crews attending I would have no hesitation in closing the junction completely.

I attended a Car fire on a Motorway one night and sods law dictated that it happened in a contraflow section, a Traffic Car whose crew were let us say not battle hardened veterans, attended and initially refused to close the motor way to allow us to work safely, until I informed him that I wasn't tackling the fire and allowing it to burn out due to being unable to set up a safe system of work, the Motorway was closed............
OILY PAWS

Return to General Car Chat Forum