Driving in America

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fishter » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm off to the States in three weeks time for business. My boss has arranged for me to do a "Commentary Drive"* with the local driver trainer.

Does anyone have any tips on driving in the US, particularly Texas in and around Houston? :)

*It's more of a skill assessment than a commentary, and it's a company requirement to perform one before being allowed to drive in that country. We have annual assessments in the UK.
fishter

Postby 7db » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:03 am

Make sure you have air con.
7db

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:09 am

7db wrote:Make sure you have air con.

I think you'll struggle to get a car without it :D

I've only driven around Houston once, it was busy but fun.

I love driving in the states, keeps your eyes peeled for four way stop junctions though.
Nigel

Postby Lynne » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:08 am

Long straight roads in the U. S. Can't remember seeing a roundabout..did Dallas and Fort Worth areas about 5 years ago. Check the rules around school buses; turning right on a red. Strange having cars joining 'from the ramp' on the right but then I've never driven in Europe :o

That's all I can muster up for 3 am! :?
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby Nigel » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:24 am

They have gyratories in new England (roundabouts), but when I was last there it was the old Frog system, priority going onto the gyratory.

They also seem to use the Irish "yield" rather than give way, although I think it was tenassie (spelling) that had give way across central reservations.

They are big on these stop junctions though, even if you can see 500 miles in every direction
Nigel

Postby martine » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Nigel wrote:They are big on these stop junctions though, even if you can see 500 miles in every direction

Yes I got stopped by a cop for not coming to a complete halt. He was pleasent enough about it and didn't take it further. STOP signs seem to be very prevalent in residential areas in Florida.

In general I reckon US driving is easy - the navigation can be more tricky sometimes with different/poor signage and poor maps.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby 7db » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Does Texas do "turn right on red"? That's worth checking in advance.
7db

Postby 7db » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:20 pm

Ah - I remember the "San Francisco Stop" - hurtle to the stop line, get most of the speed off, roll over and take your chances. Very effective traffic management. Surprisingly.

Most of my citations were for parking on street cleaning days. Bummer. Once saw a citation for not kerbing wheels (not me), and one for no front plate (ok that was me). Nearly got ticketed for parking on the wrong side of the road once, but Plod let me off, since they'd driven into my parked vehicle whilst on pursuit...
7db

Postby Lynne » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:53 pm

chriskay wrote:
7db wrote:Does Texas do "turn right on red"? That's worth checking in advance.

Lynne's point about school buses is worth checking; don't know about Texas, but in most states the rule is you mustn't pass them when they're stopped. Oh, & remember, they drive on the wrong side of the road.
Cheers, Chris.

Yes am sure I got held up in a queue as they'd stopped for the school bus (well, do as other traffic does :lol: ) . I really can't remember the rule for turning right on a red light ...anyway a search in Google finds this....scroll down to about page 26....have fun with that one :?

Texas Traffic Rules

If all gets too much, this one may be easier 23 Basic Rules for Driving in Texas :lol:

:?
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby stuartb » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:03 pm

If you see a school bus stopped, look out for the pop out STOP sign on it (think Morris Minor trafficator or whatever they were called). It means that traffic in both directions must stop. I got a filthy look when I passed by a bus in the opposite direction the first time I saw one of those :)

In my experience, other drivers are a lot less willing to give way (i.e. to pause and let you out of a junction into a queue), but are also a lot less likely to get wound up over nothing, so you can usually just pull out (of course assuming there is a safe gap) and no one minds. Not explained that well, but I mean that a gap which I might think is too small and therefore rude but still safe over here, would not normally be an issue over there.

Stuart

p.s. I suppose the downside is if you get this wrong, they'll probably shoot you.

p.p.s and of course you need to get used to (more) people passing both sides on multi-lane roads and speeds being very similar.
stuartb

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Also, if you do get stopped by the law, don't politely get out of the car.....it worries them (although they think its very funny once they realise your British, my god aren't you guys polite etc, and this stuff helps you avoid a ticket in my experience)

I found myself facing a gun from a nervous cop who was yelling "get on the ground", to which I could only reply "why" ?

This was a few years ago, and I'm getting more used to seeing our own carrying guns now (airports etc)
Nigel

Postby fishter » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:38 pm

Many thanks everyone.

I'll take note of your suggestions and hopefully make it through the assessment.

Cheers,
fishter

Return to General Car Chat Forum