Can you imagine the insurance claim?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Rain is one factor to be consered but, if part of the road is straight with no hazards to consider why not? Just because your stoping distance might increase, it still may fall within the distance you can see to be clear...
James

Postby hardboiled » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:02 am

>> No one else was hurt but police have reported the Bugatti driver for driving without due care and attention <<

The BBC are now reporting that he's being prosecuted.
hardboiled

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:28 am

martine wrote:
James wrote:Depends on witnesses and evidence available. Speed is not necessarily dangerous in itself, it is when it is grossly inappropriate for the circumstances, so there would need to be other circumstances for it to be dangerous driving.

Eeek sorry everyone I didn't mean to open up this can of worms...again...again... :roll:

That's OK, but is it this 'wet road' thing again, Martin?

I seem to recall a previous occasion where I said something.... ;)

Anyhow, shame to see such a remarkable car pranged like that, but at least no serious damage to people.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:31 am

James wrote:That would mean 140mph on the motorway was dangerous, absolute. Better bring restrictions in on police driving / training then... (hee hee, go on, lets start it up again :wink: :wink: :wink: )

I can think of many 40 roads where 80 is safe, 50 roads where 100 is safe... but not many 30's where 60 is safe I must say!

These days I imagine a safe 60 in a 30 is steadily becoming easier to find though.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:36 am

vonhosen wrote:
James wrote:Depends on witnesses and evidence available. Speed is not necessarily dangerous in itself, it is when it is grossly inappropriate for the circumstances, so there would need to be other circumstances for it to be dangerous driving.

I can think of a 30 where 100 can be reached safely at times. Depends on the circumstances.

....and of course the facility for using exemptions. :)

I expect this is that elevated section of DC you've mentioned previously, somewhere in the London area. I can never remember exactly where it is, not being familiar with the area - a situation with which I'm entirely happy! :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:40 am

James wrote:Rain is one factor to be consered but, if part of the road is straight with no hazards to consider why not? Just because your stopping distance might increase, it still may fall within the distance you can see to be clear...

It makes an accurate reading of the road surface more critical though, but if you're OK with that, it needn't be a problem.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:42 am

Come to think of it the Euston / Marylebone Road is a 30mph. There are a regular appearance of side road's, oncoming traffic slip roads and ATS controlled crossroads for the majority of the road, but, in a performance car I can see it possible to tickle 100 at times.

When circumstances dictate I often reach 80mph down the Euston road heading West just before Great Portland Street station, but you have to hold back until you have passed the UCH turn off as the road kinks right and descends, so there is a loss of vision at the brow of the hill. Likewise Albany Street for those who know it, heading North (a straight road that runs to the right of Regents Park). I tend to straddle the white lines here though.

Both roads shown on the map:

See Map
James

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 pm

TripleS wrote:I expect this is that elevated section of DC you've mentioned previously, somewhere in the London area. I can never remember exactly where it is, not being familiar with the area - a situation with which I'm entirely happy!

The A40 is a 50 limit on the elevated section, the obvious place round here where speeds like that might be achieved, although I think 100 might be a little quick even on that road, with its twists and turns.

The most obvious place however, is The Mall -- very wide with good site lines and a terrific surface. Straight, too. But I'm not sure you'd want to do it -- I understand the residents - although few in number - hold considerable sway in local affairs.
7db

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 pm

7db wrote:
TripleS wrote:I expect this is that elevated section of DC you've mentioned previously, somewhere in the London area. I can never remember exactly where it is, not being familiar with the area - a situation with which I'm entirely happy!

The A40 is a 50 limit on the elevated section, the obvious place round here where speeds like that might be achieved, although I think 100 might be a little quick even on that road, with its twists and turns.

The most obvious place however, is The Mall -- very wide with good site lines and a terrific surface. Straight, too. But I'm not sure you'd want to do it -- I understand the residents - although few in number - hold considerable sway in local affairs.

:lol:

IIRC the bit I thought Von had mentioned was now all 30 limit, applied on a straight section of DC about half a mile long, which used to have a 30 limit at each end but a higher limit in between.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm not so sure about the mall, I would be too mindful of pedestrians and cyclists emerging from the park without warning... also alot of tourist activity so unfamiliarity with the road rules...
James

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum