A TV advert for advanced driving... input required!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Micra Driver » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:25 am

How can you market "advanced driving" to an agegroup who already thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread?
Micra Driver

Postby stephenperry » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:18 pm

you'd be surprised, i was observing an 18 year old lad this morning so not all of them are resistant to learning

round here the additional problem for the IAM is appearing to be convincing folk to do their course instead of Pass Plus...

http://scottishcruise.com/forum/viewtop ... 2o5uhhggn3
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Micra Driver wrote:How can you market "advanced driving" to an agegroup who already thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread?

do you think it's a waste of time? i personally think that there's no permanent cure for red mist and that you can't put an old head on young shoulders but i'm interested in folks opinions
stephenperry

Postby martine » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:56 pm

stephenperry wrote:do you think it's a waste of time? i personally think that there's no permanent cure for red mist and that you can't put an old head on young shoulders but i'm interested in folks opinions

I agree there's no substute for experience but what I would like to see is a change of attitude/culture (call it what you will) in that being a skilful, controlled, accurate, courteous road driver is seen as something to aspire to. Some young drivers seem to think trying to emulate Fernando Alonso on the road means they are good - we of course know better. The increasing popularity of track days is good - and helps to highlight the difference in road and track driving skill.

The IAM (bless them) are trying to change their image to make it more modern and perhaps more appealiing to young drivers but we all need to keep banging on about the benefits of advanced road driving and that doesn't mean emphasising safety. Being a skilled road driver should be seen as cool but it's not something that will change overnight.

TV progs, modern clubs (like ADUK), emphasising fun and skill, modern image, funky clothing, challenging books could all could contribute to making advanced driving attractive.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:58 pm

martine wrote:The IAM (bless them) are trying to change their image to make it more modern and perhaps more appealiing to young drivers but we all need to keep banging on about the benefits of advanced road driving and that doesn't mean emphasising safety. Being a skilled road driver should be seen as cool but it's not something that will change overnight.

Well said Martin.

Safety is very important, but banging on about it all the time, to the exclusion of the fun element, will put the youngsters off.

Recognise that they want some kind of a buzz from their driving, some feeling of satisfaction and enjoyment. Accept that, and make it clear that you understand that. Then help them to acquire the right skills, and the safety will come quite naturally afterwards - and be sustainable.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Micra Driver » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:00 pm

stephenperry wrote:
Micra Driver wrote:How can you market "advanced driving" to an agegroup who already thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread?

do you think it's a waste of time? i personally think that there's no permanent cure for red mist and that you can't put an old head on young shoulders but i'm interested in folks opinions
I don't believe it's a waste of time, I just don't see how something that is seen as an "old man thing" could possibly drag in the young guys/gals out there.

Put it this way, these reckless chavs on the road must have, at one stage or another, been good enough and 'safe' enough to pass the DSA driving test and meet the examiners expectations. Once they've passed the test, they are all too keen on exploiting their new found freedom.

One of the cheapest thrills you can have in a car is speed. Doing so in front of your mates can be like a euphoric drug, keeping the younguns comming back for more.

These types don't care for following distances, stopping distances, acceleration sense, etc etc etc. They only care that they are, as far as their mates and themselves are concerned, the dogs bollocks; the cool dude; the 'man'; all because they own and drive a car.

So these advantages wouldn't appeal to the younger guys and even if they did turn up and learn, what's stopping them from reverting back to type afterwards?
Micra Driver

Postby nuster100 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Micra Driver wrote:
stephenperry wrote:

I don't believe it's a waste of time, I just don't see how something that is seen as an "old man thing" could possibly drag in the young guys/gals out there.

Put it this way, these reckless chavs on the road must have, at one stage or another, been good enough and 'safe' enough to pass the DSA driving test and meet the examiners expectations. Once they've passed the test, they are all too keen on exploiting their new found freedom.

One of the cheapest thrills you can have in a car is speed. Doing so in front of your mates can be like a euphoric drug, keeping the younguns comming back for more.

These types don't care for following distances, stopping distances, acceleration sense, etc etc etc. They only care that they are, as far as their mates and themselves are concerned, the dogs bollocks; the cool dude; the 'man'; all because they own and drive a car.

So these advantages wouldn't appeal to the younger guys and even if they did turn up and learn, what's stopping them from reverting back to type afterwards?

I think it would be easy to get younger driver interested. What you need are younger observers IMO. The IAM and RoSpA also need to loose this "red light / green light" attitude too. Would go along way to shaking the image.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby martine » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 am

nuster100 wrote:I think it would be easy to get younger driver interested. What you need are younger observers IMO. The IAM and RoSpA also need to loose this "red light / green light" attitude too. Would go along way to shaking the image.

Jay

Quite agree - in the Bristol group we have maybe 3 under 30s out of 40 active observers. We do get a higher proportion of young associates - it's just once they've passed they don't want to become observers.

Jay: what's the red/green light attitude you refer to?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby nuster100 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:52 am

Things are fairly flexible at observer level, but some of the higher ranked people have very specific views. "you must do it this way, you cant do it this way"

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby martine » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 am

nuster100 wrote:Things are fairly flexible at observer level, but some of the higher ranked people have very specific views. "you must do it this way, you cant do it this way"

Jay

Ah yes I see what you mean. The problem is the IAM training is based around the standards required for passing the IAM test and is pretty prescriptive. Obviously the higher levels of advanced driving (I don't include myself in this) allow for more freedom to apply a wider range of techniques.

As an introduction to advanced driving, I would defend the IAMs stance in being pretty black/white (red/green!) as the majority of IAM associates in my experience seem to like straight answers and all they want is to raise their driving to the next level and then stop i.e. not to continue with ever higher levels.

If they wish to continue the learning process there are other things they can do (IAM Obs, ROSPA, HPC etc) and although I would encourage everyone to continue, many simply don't want to.
martine

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum