Becoming an ADI?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby stephenperry » Fri May 04, 2007 9:12 pm

Thinking wistfully of a career change and getting out of the IT game, combining my fondness for driving with paying the bills

What are the rough costs and steps involved in becoming a proper driving instructor?
stephenperry

Postby ROG » Fri May 04, 2007 9:32 pm

I am not an ADI but I have a very rough idea.
I think you have to be over 21 and been a full licence holder for three years.
I believe there are then three steps/stages.
1, theory - lots of questions on highway code and training techniques. Also the HPT.
2, a practical test of your own driving.
3, a practical test of your teaching ability
Parts 2 & 3 have to be passed within 2 years of passing part 1.

The last time I got an ESTIMATE (depends if you pass each section 1st time) it was between 2 & 3 thousand quid.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm

If you are going for it don't pay up-front for a course. My dad started his training in such a way and it was a total rip-off, these companies depend on most people failing having paid the whole course up-front.

Find a trainer who charges per session, they will be able to advise you what you need to do for your theory, being an advanced driver that shouldn't be a problem anyway, you may want some advice on the HPT.

Anyhow, good luck. :D
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Angus » Sat May 05, 2007 11:07 am

When I tried it about 4 years ago, the cost was £1400, although many will charge more.

I think you've got to have held a full licence for 3.5 years, not 3.

Look at doing it with a school that is prepared to employ you.

Part 1: 100 multiple choice questions in 4 groups of 25. Pass rate is 85% overall and 80% in each group. Plus HPT (which has been moaned about extensively)

Part 2: Much the same as a new driver will do, but around 90 minutes. You are allowed 6 minor faults. Two of mine were to do with indicating on a mini roundabout

Part3: There are 10 or 12 subjects. You will do 2 and be graded on each. These are (in my mind) very artificial, expecting you to do a two hour lesson in 20-25 minutes. Suffice to say I didn't pass part 3.

You can work as an instructor after passing part 2 for up to 6 months. This can be extended if you have a part 3 test booked.

You have up to 3 attempts at parts 2 & 3. 3 fails and you're out until 2 years after passing part 1.

Talk to instructors. If several say don't use a school, DON'T. There are some very rotten apples out there. Also read any contract before you sign it. Also ask what they will charge when you work for them. Usually, you are a franchisee and you will pay for the car and leads. It was £200 a week 4 years ago, with reductions if there weren't enough leads.

Otherwise, it's very enjoyable, especially in the summer
Angus

Postby stephenperry » Sat May 05, 2007 11:45 am

thanks guys, very informative
stephenperry

Postby James » Sat May 05, 2007 12:27 pm

What sort of annual income could a well established ADI be making? It is something I have considered doing in my rest days to have in the future, as a tool in the box and an option...
James

Postby jont » Sat May 05, 2007 1:00 pm

James wrote:What sort of annual income could a well established ADI be making? It is something I have considered doing in my rest days to have in the future, as a tool in the box and an option...

Well, Bespoke, Cadence etc charge £300/day for 1-1 tuition. I know you won't be working 5 days a week at that rate, but I guess that's a top end indication of what you could earn.

IIRC I've seen adverts on TV for people like BSM claiming 30k, but I don't know how many hours a week you would have to be doing to earn that.
jont

Postby Rick » Sat May 05, 2007 6:09 pm

I think £30K is a very unrealistic figure, yes the sums add up, but a lot fail to take into account the cost of car, insurance, fuel etc. Luckily i got paid to do mine. I would never consider doing it for a living... or even on my rest days. As for £300/day well there wont be many people earning that without some very highly rated credentials.
Rick

Postby ROG » Sat May 05, 2007 8:19 pm

A lot of ADIs in Leicester do it P/T in the lighter evenings and at weekends to boost household income - they say that full time does not pay especially in winter.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Sat May 05, 2007 9:09 pm

Rates vary greatly from area to area. I was working in Colchester & Ipswich and getting £2/hour more in Ipswich.

Assuming an average of £16/hour, 40 hours /week, 48 weeks/year gives just over 30k. Franchise costs around £10k if they supply the car and fuel costs.

BUT - you are self employed, so NI is £2/week, not 10%. Household expenses are tax deductable and you can employ your partner so your tax liability is very low. In the first year you can offset training costs too, so in the first year you will pay very little tax.

Most instructors I know manage a good standard of living
Angus

Return to General Car Chat Forum