Bus Driving Assessment.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Renny » Tue May 08, 2007 11:00 am

Andrew,

Good Luck :!: Hope you see this before you go.

Take your time, use your existing skills to be aware of the other traffic. Remember you will potentially have some fragile unstable load on board :) So anticipate and slow down gently. There will be very little feel through the brake pedal as all it does is open a few air valves, so be gentle with it.

Use your mirrors not only to know what is around you, but also where you are on the road. Try and position youself in the middle of your bit road, but don't be afraid to "pinch" a bit of the opposite lane when needed, especially on bends (but be aware of other road users)

Remember about the front/rear overhangs, especially as the front axle is well back from where you're sitting. It does mean that our seem to swing in a long arc around bends/corners.

Do not get too close to the kerbs as the camber will pull you over towards any street furniture like signs, lamp posts and trees. It is acceptable to stop about 6-8" from the kerb at stops.

Remember the gearchanges need to be a lot slower, even if an automatic or semi-auto. Give the big diesel engine time to drop its revs. If there is a rev counter use it and try to keep it in the "green" economy area. Remember the rev range is limited, from about 600rpm tick-over to around 1900rpm maximum. You should try to keep it about 900-1800rpm.

Another tip is don't be shy in giving a "commentary" if you feel it will help your assessor know what you are thinking/doing.

Also ask questions. You are the pupil.

Most of all, try to enjoy it and Godd Luck :D
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Tue May 08, 2007 12:19 pm

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I messed up big style and gave the worst drive imaginable.
I didn't get used to the controls, couldn't seem to get the brakes to respond smoothly, kept getting to close to the kerb, actually went over a couple.
The major problem was getting used to the controls, at one point I'm starting to use the brake pedal trying to be smooth until I had to give this up and just get the speed off, it was interpreted that I hadn't seen the hazard and wasn't even trying to brake, at that point I was informed that it should not be necessary to be told to brake at my stage of driving.

So I've only got myself to blame and another career option ditched, full-time Morrisons coming right up, can't wait.

So I need to find some kind of career that involves driving nothing larger than a car, Taxi driver is out as my navigation is the pits.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue May 08, 2007 1:43 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:Taxi driver is out as my navigation is the pits.

*cough* sat nav *cough* :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby PeteG » Tue May 08, 2007 1:54 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:So I've only got myself to blame and another career option ditched, full-time Morrisons coming right up, can't wait.

Can't you give it another shot?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Renny » Tue May 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Try again!

Don't let it put you off. Try a local firm and see if you could train with them, even getting experinece at weekends unpaid.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Tue May 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I had a go at Stagecoach but I wasn't invited back for an interview. That assessment was easy, drive a coach on private ground and reverse into a parking space which was fine, I tried First and spent the assessment drive at war with the gearbox in their van resulting in even more mistakes and we didn't even bother with the interview after that one. Unfortunately IAM doesn't say anything about my driving ability as I did the test in one of the easiest cars to drive, my Mini, I learned to drive mostly in another classic Mini and have hardly any experience driving anything but Mini's. I have done a few hours in my Store Managers Mondeo and I find it quite easy to drive, it could be described as quite pleasant.
I think at this stage it would be pointless going back for another try but I'm not totally giving up. My dad knows through his work somebody who could train me. I even wonder if it would be a good idea just doing some Mini-bus training just to get used to driving a little bus as even the Lothian Buses Transit assessment in my opinion was a disaster, clearly I have a problem with this type of vehicle. If I could make that step it's possible I could try and get bigger after that.

I'll do a little investigating and see what I can do.

Cheers.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby MGF » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Seems a bit of a hard test, just putting you in a bus and see how you get on.

I am not sure mini-bus driving will help you as it appears your problem was with the controls rather than the size of the vehicle and MB controls are the same as a car. Just a bit bigger and heavier. Can't do any harm though and there is plenty of opportunity to drive mini-buses as a volunteer.
MGF

Postby rodericksdad » Tue May 08, 2007 10:53 pm

I am for what its worth a little amazed that they have carried out your assesment by getting you to actually drive a bus to start with,yes if you already held a full licence and were just comming back to that occupation,but i find it highly unreasonable of them to do to you what they have done if you were to be trained as a bus/coach driver then in my eyes they should have started to train you first properly before expecting you to take something out like what they have expected you to drive,i would say to you good on you for doing what you have done and i would also say that the faults lie at the hands of those who were assesing you how they have carried out what they have done,as with anything practice makes perfect,to be expected to do what they have tried to get you to do in such a short space of time is crazy,all i can add is that it will be their loss as the industry desperatly needs responsable drivers who care about their driving and others on the road,rant over,sorry,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri May 11, 2007 1:32 pm

I've decided to start training privately. A contact through the driving school my dad works through who does PCV training, he has a manual coach. The advantage to training in this fashion is that I would gain a manual license allowing me to drive some classic and vintage buses, I've always wanted to drive a Routemaster. It'll be expensive but when faced with the prospect of working for Mor***ons for the rest of my life it's a small price to pay. At the end of my interview with First I was told that they would be interested in hearing back from me in a couple of months to have another go at their assessment. Unfortunately I'm not likely be driving anything big at the moment as I do not want to become White Van Man as there are reasons why most of them drive like they do, I remember one appearing here after being sacked for safe driving. So the only way I will be able to gain any experience in anything bigger than my Store Managers Ford Mondeo is to pay for some training.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby ROG » Fri May 11, 2007 1:36 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:So the only way I will be able to gain any experience in anything bigger than my Store Managers Ford Mondeo is to pay for some training.

Know anyone moving home? Offer to drive the van/truck for them - they pay you drive. Just a thought :)
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum