LGV Exhaust Brakes

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby EKAL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:08 pm

I have been driving LGV's for more years than I care to mention :| and have used various types of exhaust brakes in various makes of Lorry's over the years, today I came across an exhaust brake that when applied really had a significant reduction in speed, it had 2 settings and when used on the 2nd setting it was "almost" like touching the footbrake, it really slowed the vehicle so much so that i was thinking of the car behind me not noticing I was slowing, so I "feathered" the foot brake to alert him with the lights.

OK OK Question time :-)

Q - anyone think that the "Exhaust brake" should be linked up to the brake lights or maybe an extra light to inform following vehicles of the reduction in speed?
EKAL

Postby vonhosen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 pm

EKAL wrote:I have been driving LGV's for more years than I care to mention :| and have used various types of exhaust brakes in various makes of Lorry's over the years, today I came across an exhaust brake that when applied really had a significant reduction in speed, it had 2 settings and when used on the 2nd setting it was "almost" like touching the footbrake, it really slowed the vehicle so much so that i was thinking of the car behind me not noticing I was slowing, so I "feathered" the foot brake to alert him with the lights.

OK OK Question time :-)

Q - anyone think that the "Exhaust brake" should be linked up to the brake lights or maybe an extra light to inform following vehicles of the reduction in speed?

Ordinarily no, but if there is a second stage as effective as you suggest then maybe just for the second stage.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby EKAL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:31 pm

the 2nd stage was effective, it was on an Iveco strallis, I think there should be some sort of indication to following vehicles, maybe more so in the future when this type of braking may get more dramatic.

this type of braking has "limited" wear N tear effects to the vehicle as opposed to pads/discs being worn...........
EKAL

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 pm

Our gearbox retarders are linked to the brake lights (on auto's) I take it this was on a manual?
Rick

Postby EKAL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 am

Rick wrote:Our gearbox retarders are linked to the brake lights (on auto's) I take it this was on a manual?

yeah manual box, BUT!!!, we have a couple of auto's, I'll need to check that out tomorrow now, cheers for that info
EKAL

Postby ROG » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 am

I think it should. I have to warn the trainees when using it about the following road users who have no warning of the quick slowdown.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Renny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:36 am

Usually the high efficiency engine brakes like the "Jake" brake, or transmission retarders which have "stages" of retardation, do activate the brake lights on application of the higher levels.

Many of the "simple" exhaust brakes have little effect unless the engine revs are high enough, only sufficing to keep the speed steady, not significantly slowing the vehicle.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby ROG » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am

Many of the "simple" exhaust brakes have little effect unless the engine revs are high enough, only sufficing to keep the speed steady, not significantly slowing the vehicle.

The simple one on the volvo unit we use is very fierce - to slow down for an approaching hazard the trainees do not have to touch the main brakes!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Renny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:23 pm

Ah, but I suppose it is empty.

Good point though, Id worry about some of the more effective ones on wet or greasy roads. They could easily cause the drive axle to skid initiating a jack-knife. Not a nice experience :(
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby OILY PAWS » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Renny wrote:Ah, but I suppose it is empty.

Good point though, Id worry about some of the more effective ones on wet or greasy roads. They could easily cause the drive axle to skid initiating a jack-knife. Not a nice experience :(

you can say that again, fierce retarder(poss defective) + Fire Appliance being driven progressively to an incident= NSF corner(my side :( ) coming into contact with wall..........

defiantely NOT a nice experience
OILY PAWS

Postby EKAL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:44 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone in thinking there should be some sort of warning to following vehicles.

ALSO.... would be nice to know how many company's train out about the effects of the Exhaust brake(like Rog)
EKAL

Postby rodericksdad » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:32 pm

We run some Dennis Darts and the retarder on these is brilliant it is so progressive and the different stages overlap so well it is like normal progresive braking,

As for the MAN,s that we run the retarder on that kicks in like someone has just thrown a switch :shock: ,its absoloutly diabolical,

Both of these systems though operate the brake lights as soon as they come into play.
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby Shadwell » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:17 pm

I think any kind of retarder/engine brake that reduces speed by more than like 5 mph a second should be linked to the brake lights, if it isn't already done so.
Shadwell

Return to General Car Chat Forum