Smart cars...any good?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 am

My partner is seriously considering one of these...probably the Brabus auto. She's downsizing from a Renault Clio 2.0 Auto. Prior to that a MINI Cooper Auto.

Mainly used for shortish journeys; doesn't need four doors (or seats); little M-way work.

Any thoughts/experiences to offer, please?
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:45 am

My brother used to run a diesel "classic" Smart and really rated it. However, be aware that there's no spare tyre and front and rear wheels are different sizes, and Mercedes servicing is expensive and you'll need to visit them every time a bulb blows. His was LHD too, which led to some interesting toll booth experiences.

The real boon of the diesel was it would easily do 100mpg so the car actually paid for itself with his mileage allowance! :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Big Err » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 am

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:Any thoughts/experiences to offer, please?

I had a Smart as a company lease car for three years - a bit like a go kart with a arm chairs fitted, good fun, heaps of space if you're tall (I fitted easily and I'm 6'5" and about 16stone), it gets battered about in the wind, quite a hard ride and the servicing prices are silly (Merc main dealer = crap service, crap price but nice coffee).
Big Err

Postby Renny » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:19 am

I thought about a Smart Coupe or Roadster a couple of years ago. Like Big Err, the space for tall person was good, and only 2 seats would not have been a problem. Performance was OK, fuel consumption was fine, but the concern for me was the need to get it serviced at a Mercedes garage. My 12-15K miles per year was going to mean expensive service bills.

There are some independants about who will service them cheaper, and a big cult following, with a couple of useful forums on the web.

The new (not sure if available yet) Coupe looks good and the diesel has amazing fuel figures.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Red Herring » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:52 pm

I quite liked the one I found on a web site that was fitted with a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 engine. It did mean you lost one of the seats but given the performance it was unlikely you would find to many passengers to come along anyhow.
Red Herring

Postby Jasp » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:33 am

My concern with the Smart Car is safety. It does get an NCAP of 3 but even so... if you are involved in an accident it is going to hurt.
Jasp

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:19 am

Many thanks for all the info/thoughts/experiences; much appreciated.
Best, B
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby nodigitsever » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:17 am

no good to me as I tow a 1.5 Ton caravan with my car :lol:
nodigitsever

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Jasp wrote:My concern with the Smart Car is safety. It does get an NCAP of 3 but even so... if you are involved in an accident it is going to hurt.

Not necessarily so. I remember seeing a Smart crash tested on TV - might have been Tiff on 5th Gear? - the passenger compartment survived amazingly well.

I have never been in a Smart. Criticisms I remember reading included low geared steering and a poor semi-auto gearbox.
waremark

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm

While the car is able to survive the crashes, they suggested that the occupants themselves would be less likely to survive because of the massive deceleration forces they'd be subjected to.... which I guess is true of pretty much all cars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bimK4kNJ84

Chris
ScoobyChris

Return to General Car Chat Forum