What to do if the wheel bearing breaks

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Fri May 23, 2008 3:25 pm

TripleS wrote:At the risk of ruffling a few feathers I must say that ABS and ESP etc. are not strong selling points in my choice of a car (sorry Mark from W in H) but it's becoming a bit academic now as most cars presumably are equipped with these systems as standard.

Are you a friend of General Ned Ludd?
waremark

Postby TripleS » Fri May 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Renny wrote:
TripleS wrote:
The only times I've caused the ABS to activate on our 406 have been when I've put a wheel over the edge onto some muddy stuff when meeting another vehicle on a narrow country road, and once when braking from about 15 mph on a snowy surface.

In the latter case I felt that the car responded less well to the braking than it would have done without ABS, but it was only my feeling and not based on any proper comparison.

In snow, it is well recognised that ABS will lengthen the stopping distance. A locked wheel forms a wedge build-up of snow in front of it that reduces the stopping distance.

Yes, so I've heard. I thought the confounded car was never going to stop!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri May 23, 2008 5:23 pm

mph999 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
I think if I were to suffer a tyre problem at a bend, I would rather have a chance of hitting something (which in many cases could be soft) on the nearside, rather than run the risk of hitting something hard, and maybe travelling fast, coming the other way.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

If I had gone left, I probably wouldn't be here now ...

Nothing was oncoming, so going right was a better option ...

Martin

Yes, I appreciate that in your case it all worked out for the best, thankfully, but with what Jon quite rightly said about relative wheel loads, plus my wish to avoid a head-on shunt, in general terms I'm inclined to stand by what I said.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri May 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Wheel bearing seizure, I can tell you what not to do. Do not release the brakes to correct a skid, this results in a total loss of directional control and it's not an enjoyable experience. I drove a Mini Rio for a short while untill discovering there was a problem. The incident was going down hill on a rural road when I was reducing speed for a bend I was approaching with the brakes. I felt one wheel lock and not thinking properly due to inexperience at the time I released the brakes completely which resulted in the steering wheel being hauled round with my arms, going up an embankment, hitting a tree and landing back on the road again on the Mini's side. This is not an experience I would like to repeat, I could have investigated the cars maintenance history in more detail and prevented this incident, so be careful when buying second hand cars.

The best way to deal with a mechanical failure of this type is to prevent it by maintaining a strict servicing schedule.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby TripleS » Fri May 23, 2008 5:40 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:At the risk of ruffling a few feathers I must say that ABS and ESP etc. are not strong selling points in my choice of a car (sorry Mark from W in H) but it's becoming a bit academic now as most cars presumably are equipped with these systems as standard.

Are you a friend of General Ned Ludd?

Founder member of his fan club actually, Mark. :lol:

I appreciate you don't share my view on this, but I still feel that some of this gadgetry could be a bit of a mixed blessing if people start leaning on these systems too much. It might not be all gain; there could be a downside to it to some extent, and certainly if these systems were options at significant additional cost, for my own purposes I probably would not elect to have them.

After all, we managed for a very long time without them, so why should I be expected to feel I need them now?

....an' annudderting, while I've got you going: If I had to go back to using cross ply tyres I would not be dismayed at that either - and if neccessary I'll tell you why.

Best wishes all,
Dave - definitely in troublemaking mode. :P
TripleS

Postby mph999 » Fri May 23, 2008 11:14 pm

TripleS wrote:
mph999 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
I think if I were to suffer a tyre problem at a bend, I would rather have a chance of hitting something (which in many cases could be soft) on the nearside, rather than run the risk of hitting something hard, and maybe travelling fast, coming the other way.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Martin

Yes, I appreciate that in your case it all worked out for the best, thankfully, but with what Jon quite rightly said about relative wheel loads, plus my wish to avoid a head-on shunt, in general terms I'm inclined to stand by what I said.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Indeed, and you would be quite correct. The tress on my left didn't look that inviting ...

M
mph999

Postby TripleS » Sat May 24, 2008 9:38 am

mph999 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
mph999 wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Martin

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Indeed, and you would be quite correct. The tress on my left didn't look that inviting ...

M

OK, I understand. Apparently trees, even fairly slim ones, can be quite unforgiving.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum