Today's IAM Car conference - Warwick Uni

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:30 pm

I attended today on behalf of my Bristol group.

Before I voice my own opinion, how was it for you?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby crr003 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am

martine wrote:I attended today on behalf of my Bristol group.

I thought the chips were good.
And the tyre presure gauge works!
crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:17 am

martine wrote:I attended today on behalf of my Bristol group.

The morning talks were half interesting and a bit repetitive, but the Volvo guy was obviously not expecting to talk about what he was billed to do!

What was Group award thing about? OK - three Groups could win, but there was about 20? And what's the criteria for winning?
After lunch - interesting implementation of a brain storming session. But at least we tried.
I was impressed with Mr Kenworthy's delivery, but we need to see some results now.

Bonus - I got to meet Chris Gilbert (who is a Roadcraft VIP) and Trevor Dickenson who is a SE and talks sense.
crr003

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:07 pm

SLOW IN THE ROAD!

I will ask my training officier as I have thumb my latest copy of HC and can't find it.

I believe it is an advisory marking meaning the conditions and or road layout require caution and you should be prepared to slow or stop.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby martine » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:11 pm

jbsportstech wrote:SLOW IN THE ROAD!

I will ask my training officier as I have thumb my latest copy of HC and can't find it.

I believe it is an advisory marking meaning the conditions and or road layout require caution and you should be prepared to slow or stop.

I think we've hit a worm-hole Jim in the space-time continuum...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:02 pm

martine wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:SLOW IN THE ROAD!

I think we've hit a worm-hole Jim in the space-time continuum...

:D

Wasn't it a Motown song?

# Stop! In the the [name of] road . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby AnalogueAndy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:48 pm

martine wrote:Before I voice my own opinion, how was it for you?

I understand (from the feedback I've had from the 3 of our group who attended) that there was a particular emphasis on eco driving, the P in POWDER (or POWER) now stands for 'Planning' as in Is my journey really necessary etc. :D
AnalogueAndy

Postby martine » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Is that a snipe that the 3 from the Bath group that they thought it was a complete waste of time?

Personally I found the day good in parts...some of the speakers were interesting: I thought the petrol producers association chap put some things into proportion...like oil reserves, the problems with 'new' fuels (as you'd expect him to emphasise) etc.

I was very surprised there was no open q&a session to pick up delegates feelings on things like the proposed large membership fee increase and a detailed explaination of why the IAM's finances are struggling.

The 'brainstorming' session in the afternoon was a good shot at specific issues - loads of feedback but it's only worthwhile if it's followed up with change of course. Time will tell.
martine

Postby AnalogueAndy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 pm

martine wrote:Is that a snipe that the 3 from the Bath group that they thought it was a complete waste of time?

No, quite the opposite for them personally, but I understand the sentiment didn't go down well with a few of the 'petrolheads'.
AnalogueAndy

Postby martine » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:
martine wrote:No, quite the opposite for them personally, but I understand the sentiment didn't go down well with a few of the 'petrolheads'.

I must have drifted off when the eco-driving bit was on :wink: and yes I quite agree, eco-driving is not what the IAM is about. We should 'sell' the 'advanced' bit more forcefully...car control, safety and fun not eco IMO.

(this from someone that has a car that does 30mpg if he's lucky and usually 24-26)
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 am

martine wrote:
AnalogueAndy wrote:
martine wrote:No, quite the opposite for them personally, but I understand the sentiment didn't go down well with a few of the 'petrolheads'.

I must have drifted off when the eco-driving bit was on :wink: and yes I quite agree, eco-driving is not what the IAM is about. We should 'sell' the 'advanced' bit more forcefully...car control, safety and fun not eco IMO.

(this from someone that has a car that does 30mpg if he's lucky and usually 24-26)

I would suggest that eco-driving is not what the IAM should primarily be about, but in the present climate I do think they ought to give it some attention, rather than disregarding it completely.

One might also bear in mind that obtaining good fuel economy - in combination with a fair amount of spirited driving - is an additional skill that could usefully be developed.

(this from somebody that can get around as quickly as most folk, and obtain 50 mpg whilst doing so.) :cool:

Best wishes all,
Dave - planet saver.
TripleS

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:
martine wrote:Before I voice my own opinion, how was it for you?

I understand (from the feedback I've had from the 3 of our group who attended) that there was a particular emphasis on eco driving, the P in POWDER (or POWER) now stands for 'Planning' as in Is my journey really necessary etc. :D

Does this mean we no longer need any petrol to go? :?
zadocbrown

Return to General Car Chat Forum