Rover 25

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Jimmy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:11 pm

I am going for a second look at one tonight and wondered if anyone on here had any experience of them?

I am aware of their inherent head gasket problems and dodgy boot locks, but other than that am open to any advice going.

Cheers

James

Oh, it may be useful to tell you it is a 1.8 VVC jobbie, too.
Jimmy

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Is it nightfire red by any chance?? :D

Not my cup of tea but the vvc lumps are known for headgaskets going so one thing to watch out for. Get it running and get the top off the header tank and check for bubbles.

Other that they can rust badly best of going to rover forum for the full lowdown.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Porker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:04 pm

I can tell you that the 1.4 litre version is very popular in Endurance rallying, which argues that they're potentially reliable and robust cars.

I have seen several on the road with corrosion though.

P.
Porker

Postby James » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:39 am

Lisa had a diesel for years. Boot lock totally fooked. Other than that it was ok, but it die a horrible rusty death. It was only an X reg too.
James

Postby jont » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 am

The K-series HGF issues often raise controversy on the elise forum. There are also some that say be wary of ones that have had it fixed as if not done properly it may cause even more problems in the long run.

The VVC has a second cam-belt for the VVC gear. I think the replacement interval is 4 years (it was reduced from the original 6), so probably worth checking that's been done.

The enduro ones aren't exactly standard - especially wrt suspension. The biggest constraint on enduro cars is finding a 1.4l engine with a decent power output and a ready supply of spares. The 106 XSi/Rallye is popular, but these are now often a lot more expensive to buy compared to the Rover, and your typical Rover owner is less likely to have thrashed the car. It's also popular because the Turner brothers use (and prepare) them - but they would be quick regardless of what car they use!

Jon
jont

Postby Jimmy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info.

I went to look at it for a second time last night and ended up signing on the dotted line for it - pick it up tomorrow.

It had both belts and a new head gasket done 8 months ago by a reputable garage so I am fairly confident that aspect is covered.

James' comment about rust is a tad worrying - this is an X plate one! I got a good look at the car (including underneath) and it all seemed intact though.

Oh, and it isn't Nightfire Red; it is in fact Old Man Gold :)

Will put a few pictures in the Pride and Joy section when I (a) get the car and (b) am able to drive it after a wisdom tooth removal (hospital this weekend :()
Jimmy

Postby James » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:14 am

Lisa's was an X reg diesel. We bought it in 04 at around 40k miles for around 10k, and it lasted until May this year at 120'000 miles.

It did last the test of time grantedm but it did degenerate terribly. It was a 2.0TD in non metallic dark blue. Became really sluggish and expensive to fix.

But, it was used a hell of alot.
James

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:42 am

James wrote:Lisa's was an X reg diesel. We bought it in 04 at around 40k miles for around 10k, and it lasted until May this year at 120'000 miles.

It did last the test of time grantedm but it did degenerate terribly. It was a 2.0TD in non metallic dark blue. Became really sluggish and expensive to fix.

But, it was used a hell of alot.

120,000 miles is a mere *whippersnapper* for a diesel.

I just sold my old focus with 225,000 on the clock.

Granted, I only got £200 for it, but still...

another 13,000 and it's almost literally been to the moon (238857 miles according to wikianswers)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am

Duplicate Post
Last edited by jbsportstech on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 am

If its x reg with little or no rust its been kept in a climate control garage with moisture kept at bay, as long as you dont leave it out in the elements its shouldnt rust, helps if you wash and shammy it regular, and clear mud a debris from the arches as people who don't find this holds moisture against the metal work causing it to rust. Thats the main prob i find with these.

Although I never driven one and thought wow I must have one of these.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Return to General Car Chat Forum