Electronic parking brakes and the dsa

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Its a tricky one as you either have to have old or very basic cars or risk testing people in the lastest cars with the latest gadgets / safety features. I took my test in 99 but even then I had no abs on my learner car or my own. My partner wouldnt be abel to stop a car with abs properly because she has learn in cars with abs.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:49 pm

I think it would be interesting for the test centre to have their own pool of cars without electronic trickery and also without strategically placed stickers for parking manouevres to actually test a candidates ability. I'm sure it would be ruled out on cost and practicality grounds, but I think it would certainly benefit new drivers (I would have certainly benefitted from it!).

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby redrobo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:39 pm

Red Herring wrote:I drove a Discovery recently that just had a button for the handbrake. I made the comment that it must be quite hard to do hillstarts as the button doesn't have a "biting" point, it's either on or off, only to be told it releases automatically. Apparently when you stop on a hill you push the button to set the brake. When you want to move off you engage first gear clutch down, then push the botton to release the brake, and then as you bring the clutch up the "system" automatically releases the brake as the drive takes the vehicle forward. I didn't actually get a chance to try this out......can anyone confirm this is how they work? If so does it work the other way round if you are trying to reverse up a hill?

the electric handbrake on the Disco is an auto release but can be released manually. On the auto side it needs some extra revs on the 2.7(manual box) disco to override the brake. when towing it easier to start in low ratio and change on the move.. When used as an emergency brake is very efficient, using the ABS system to apply the brakes.
redrobo

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:23 am

ScoobyChris wrote:I think it would be interesting for the test centre to have their own pool of cars without electronic trickery and also without strategically placed stickers for parking manouevres to actually test a candidates ability. I'm sure it would be ruled out on cost and practicality grounds, but I think it would certainly benefit new drivers (I would have certainly benefitted from it!).

Chris

Think you have struck on something there,,,, They provide the car for the test that would make sense.. They could charge about £40 more and provide a car since you have to pay for two lessons with an instructor to use his/her car which is about 40-50quid.

Then they are demonstrate ability to drive other vehicles. Not all adi do that my partners is on his 3 rd car since she started with him about 5 months ago. 1st he was aa with a focus then he quit and went with a franchise then he a fiesta now a c3.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Renny » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:15 am

jbsportstech wrote:
Think you have struck on something there,,,, They provide the car for the test that would make sense.. They could charge about £40 more and provide a car since you have to pay for two lessons with an instructor to use his/her car which is about 40-50quid.

Certainly when the DSA test prospective Examiners, they provide the car. It was odd driving a petrol Astra after many years of driving turbo-diesels.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum