IAM AGM

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Red Herring » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm

TripleS wrote:Many thanks to everybody for trying to understand what I've been attempting to explain, and to Dave T for his olive branch, because I feel I owe him one too - an olive branch, that is! :lol:

As I said yesterday, I won't pursue this further at this time. I'll keep my doubts to myself and stick with what I feel happy with, for the time being.

That has to be my decision anyhow, because it'll be my responsibility if anything goes wrong. If/when I end up in the hedge bottom after trying something 'advanced' it won't help for me to say, "Well this is how the Stressed one said I should be doing it." ;)

Dave, at no time should you step outside of your safety bubble and be doing anything that may result in you being at the bottom of a hedge.....however what is it that you have been told to do differently?

From what I read (and I know we shouldn't be having personal debriefs on Forum...) then all that was suggested was that you lift your view and try to plan earlier, neither of which are likely to get you into trouble....
Nobody should be telling you to go faster, brake later, cut corners, overtake more etc etc.....these are all decisions relevant to each unique circumstance and they should only be reached after considering all the available information. The secret to Advanced driving is getting all the available information and then processing it quickly enough to be able to come up with safe driving plans.
Red Herring

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:07 pm

martine wrote:
Red Herring wrote:All this talk of "you must do this or you mustn't do that" just encourages the mind set that advanced driving is about following rules, it isn't. It's about control.

I agree but isn't the IAM/ROSPA 'guidance' aimed at 'novice' advanced drivers (if you see what I mean)? The sign of a true genius at anything is
they know how and when to bend the rules to great effect.

'kin' 'ell!!

There you go, mystery solved; thanks, Martin. It's simply that my genius has not yet been recognised by anybody else. :lol:

BTW, I appreciate what RH says, thanks for that. I seem to have a special talent for creating the need for conciliatory words. :roll:

<Thinks: I wonder if they'd prefer me to confine myself to clowning, and leave these momentous issues to those who understand them?>

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:11 pm

JamesAllport wrote:I don't want to prolong a really interesting discussion that has run its course, but for the sake of politeness I just ought to answer Dave's direct question by saying that (as you might expect) Von has it spot on.

James

Yes, I expect so. Thanks for replying, James.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Red Herring wrote:
TripleS wrote:Many thanks to everybody for trying to understand what I've been attempting to explain, and to Dave T for his olive branch, because I feel I owe him one too - an olive branch, that is! :lol:

As I said yesterday, I won't pursue this further at this time. I'll keep my doubts to myself and stick with what I feel happy with, for the time being.

That has to be my decision anyhow, because it'll be my responsibility if anything goes wrong. If/when I end up in the hedge bottom after trying something 'advanced' it won't help for me to say, "Well this is how the Stressed one said I should be doing it." ;)

Dave, at no time should you step outside of your safety bubble and be doing anything that may result in you being at the bottom of a hedge.....however what is it that you have been told to do differently?

From what I read (and I know we shouldn't be having personal debriefs on Forum...) then all that was suggested was that you lift your view and try to plan earlier, neither of which are likely to get you into trouble....
Nobody should be telling you to go faster, brake later, cut corners, overtake more etc etc.....these are all decisions relevant to each unique circumstance and they should only be reached after considering all the available information. The secret to Advanced driving is getting all the available information and then processing it quickly enough to be able to come up with safe driving plans.

Hiya RH - thanks for your interest, but rather than clutter this topic up further, maybe we can chat directly if you don't mind.

Incidentally, I don't mind personal debriefs, because it's all information that might help others. All I would ask is that they are fair and that any criticisms are appropriate.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Red Herring wrote:

RH - as agreed a few days ago I've just got round to trying to reply to this.

I have just spent about an hour composing a carefully worded explanation to send to you as a PM, and when I ask for the preview, it asks me to log in - so I've lost the whole damned thing, which is more than a bit infuriating, so that's the end of that. Sorry.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Dave, when that sort of thing happens, you can often do the following:

- Press the browser "Back" button - your message is usually there, preserved, but unsent
- Copy the whole text you were trying to send into the clipboard, and either keep it there, or put it in a text file for safe keeping.
- Log back into the site, set yourself up to send the message again, paste the text back, and send as normal.

This works with a lot of sites that use a form for entering text, but perhaps have a timeout or a login requirement (usually by a cookie of some sort). There are sites that blank out the text when you press submit, but they're the minority.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Red Herring » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:28 pm

TripleS wrote:RH - as agreed a few days ago I've just got round to trying to reply to this.

I have just spent about an hour composing a carefully worded explanation to send to you as a PM, and when I ask for the preview, it asks me to log in - so I've lost the whole damned thing, which is more than a bit infuriating, so that's the end of that. Sorry.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Never mind, I'm sure the hour spent still had some value......
Red Herring

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Dave, when that sort of thing happens, you can often do the following:

- Press the browser "Back" button - your message is usually there, preserved, but unsent
- Copy the whole text you were trying to send into the clipboard, and either keep it there, or put it in a text file for safe keeping.
- Log back into the site, set yourself up to send the message again, paste the text back, and send as normal.

This works with a lot of sites that use a form for entering text, but perhaps have a timeout or a login requirement (usually by a cookie of some sort). There are sites that blank out the text when you press submit, but they're the minority.

Thank you, Nick. I guess the system timed-out on me, so in future I'd better do the thing as a Word document, and then follow the procedure you suggest. Serves me right for producing extended waffles. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Red Herring wrote:
TripleS wrote:RH - as agreed a few days ago I've just got round to trying to reply to this.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Never mind, I'm sure the hour spent still had some value......

:lol:

Aye, it prompted a bit more thinking....

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum