Calls for "speed-limiting" cars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Random points:

1. The answers to a number of questions raised are to be found here:

http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/isa/

I read it a long time ago. I remember in particular being unconvinced by the casualty reduction estimates which were based on crude assumptions of the relationship between speed and accidents.

2. I hate driving in areas subject to average speed cameras. I find that other drivers make it too difficult to maintain a balloon of safe space around me. People insist on driving alongside me, I cannot speed up because of the camera system, and if I slow down the driver behind closes up. Horrible.

3. In the Leeds University project, IIRC, they used automatic cars, with the kickdown overriding the speed limiter. In spite of this Bryan Lunn, then IAM Chief Examiner, wrote that he did not like driving the research car fitted with the system and he opposed it.

4. In my experience of driving with numerous different gps devices, I have not met one which never became confused about which road I was on - it does not happen often, but at the present state of technology, often enough for me to find a speed limiter unacceptable.

5. I would welcome an in car display of the current speed limit, and would accept a system which gave a visual warning if more than say 5% over the limit. A couple of new cars are said to do this, probably as an option, by reading the speed limit signs (that sounds a more reliable system to me than a gps based system). I think this applies to the new BMW 7 series and the Vauxhall Insignia.

6. I feel strongly that the IAM should be opposing this plan, not supporting it. They should use it as a platform to argue for developing drivers' responsibility and skills to make their own safe judgements of speed.

7. Adaptive cruise controls have been mentioned, which offer the opportunity to maintain the lower of a set speed or a speed which maintains a 1 or 2 second following distance behind the car in front. I have such a system. It is technically brilliant, and it is uncanny allowing the system to slow you down for example as the car in front slows from a dual carriageway speed for an upcoming roundabout. Overall however I think I prefer an ordinary cruise control because I end up taking off the adaptive system almost as often. This happens because it cannot see changes in advance. For example, on the very frequent occastions when someone moves out into my 2 second following gap I would begin to slow as soon as I see their intention. The adaptive cruise control would maintain the 2 second gap until the interloper was fully in my lane, and then have to slow much more positively.

8. To me, development of 'Intelligent Speed Adaptation' seems the greatest threat we face to the enjoyment of motoring.

Well, I said they were random points. Thanks to anyone who has made it all the way through!!
waremark

Postby Why_Aye » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:41 am

Personally I am completely against a limited speed in private cars. If such a system had been implemented several years ago I would now not have a nephew to visit but rather have my sister's grave to visit.

She was in a pub and asked about nut content in something. They assured her that there were no nuts in it. She ate it. Feeling ill, she left the pub early. As soon as she got through the front door she was put in the car and rushed to A&E, my dad exceeding speed limits on the way. She collapsed at the hospital reception desk.

Several years later (specifically last August), she made me an uncle.

It is rare that events such as this happen, but when there is no time to call an ambulance, what do you do?

Education of the public is paramount rather than inflicting superficial limitations on us.
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby andyspiller » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 pm

I got a speed limiter free with my cruise control. Like other systems it can be overwritten by using "kickdown".

Tried it out when I first got the car, but I am of the opinion that my right foot is a far better speed limiter than any kind of gismo.
andyspiller

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:21 pm

passat can be set to chime at a certian speed but it doesnt limit the speed that for me is dictated by the conditions not the cars electronics.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby PeterE » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 pm

waremark wrote:5. I would welcome an in car display of the current speed limit, and would accept a system which gave a visual warning if more than say 5% over the limit. A couple of new cars are said to do this, probably as an option, by reading the speed limit signs (that sounds a more reliable system to me than a gps based system). I think this applies to the new BMW 7 series and the Vauxhall Insignia.

Given councils' poor record in maintaining speed limit signs, and the fact that many are poorly sighted at junctions and roundabouts (and I mean sighted, not sited), I wonder how reliable this would be.

Also how does it tell that you have gone on to a DC within the NSL and the speed limit has gone up from 60 to 70?
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum