Advice Please!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Matthew B » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:43 pm

This has been bugging me for the last couple of days...

On my usual route home, one of the roads that I use always has parked cars on the opposite side of the road - it also has a left to right bend at the top of a very shallow hill. It is a residential road with houses set well back from the road with a pavement and grass.

When approaching the parked cars I needed to give way to another driver as they were already passing the parked cars on their side of the road, when they had cleared the parked cars another vehicle had stopped to give way - they were positioned where the road starts to bend.

When I approached the car that was giving way to me and rounded the bend I found an articulated lorry trying to negociate more parked cars and other vehicles queuing behind the lorry, some taking up my side of the road due to other parked cars.
Other vehicles had followed me so I had no way of reversing back the way I came and because of the articulated lorry's position, it would have needed to swing out to where I was currently positioned on the road.
I could not go forward due to the reduced width of the road and I could not go backwards due to the vehicles behind me.
My solution was to mount the pavement and travel far enough along the pavement so the lorry could manoeuver out of the position he was in to clear the problem.
There was a person putting out their bin around 30 feet in front of my finish position so I did proceed slowly and with caution.

So.......was this the correct thing to do?

Over to you guys...............................

Regards

Matthew
Matthew B

Postby ROG » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Welcome.

Needs must with no other alternative and done as safely as possible - I see no problem
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Oddball » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:00 pm

I agree - if there's no safe, feasibile way out of a situation like that. I would have done the same I expect :)
Oddball

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 am

The only bit that could possibly be questioned is whether you should have continued moving when you came across teh chap putting out his wheely bin, perhaps you could have stopped until he went back onto his drive. But, considering I wasn't there, I have no idea whether that would have increased safety or not.

Other than that there is naff all else you could have done really!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Why_Aye » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:44 am

30 feet is far enough away from you to continue onto the pavement with caution. That's no different from what I'd have done.
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby Matthew B » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 am

Thankyou everyone.............

I must admit that I did leave something out, namely the chat I had with the Police Officer who was in the queue behind the lorry.
He was less than happy with what I did but my arguement to him was that due to his position he did not have a clear view of what was happening (a bit difficult to see through 40 feet of high sided vehicle) and that what he said was a pedestrian walking on the path was in fact someone putting out their bin at the end of their drive well ahead of where I intended to dismount the pavement. In all a bad assessment of the situation from the Officer.
I'm not one to knock the Police as they do have a very difficult and stressful role to play and some of what they have to deal with is something I could not.

Regards

Matthew
Matthew B

Postby ROG » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Matthew B wrote:Thankyou everyone.............

I must admit that I did leave something out, namely the chat I had with the Police Officer who was in the queue behind the lorry.
He was less than happy with what I did but my arguement to him was that due to his position he did not have a clear view of what was happening (a bit difficult to see through 40 feet of high sided vehicle) and that what he said was a pedestrian walking on the path was in fact someone putting out their bin at the end of their drive well ahead of where I intended to dismount the pavement. In all a bad assessment of the situation from the Officer.
I'm not one to knock the Police as they do have a very difficult and stressful role to play and some of what they have to deal with is something I could not.

Regards

Matthew

Local police or traffic :?: IMO, it does make a difference.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Matthew B » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 am

He said he was Traffic.
Matthew B

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 am

Unusual for a traffic officer to talk out of his rear end! :D

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby MGF » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:46 pm

adiNigel wrote:Unusual for a traffic officer to talk out of his rear end! :D

Nigel

adiNigel wrote:
vonhosen wrote:....but not high speeds within a speed limit.

Sorry, but of course you can.

Nigel

:wink:
MGF

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

MGF wrote:
adiNigel wrote:Unusual for a traffic officer to talk out of his rear end! :D

Nigel

adiNigel wrote:
vonhosen wrote:....but not high speeds within a speed limit.

Sorry, but of course you can.

Nigel

:wink:

We have been told many times that Von 'blow the doors off' hosen is not, and never has been, a Traffic Officer. So there! :lol:

....and I still don't think he's right all the time; well it doesn't tally with my view of things. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby MGF » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 pm

No but he compares favourably to TrafPol. Can't believe he would talk out of his ***e and for it not to rub off on TrafPol.
MGF

Return to General Car Chat Forum