In-car camera for young drivers

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MGF » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 pm

This has just been introduced in the US. Looks interesting if only for piece of mind for parents.
MGF

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

MGF wrote:This has just been introduced in the US. Looks interesting if only for piece of mind for parents.

Brilliant idea.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Red Herring » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:35 pm

I did think about getting one of those little bullet cams and mounting it above the mirror wired into a digital recorder on an hour long loop. That way if you were ever involved in an incident you would have the last hours recording of your driving available. I decided against it after considering that might work both ways..... :wink:
Red Herring

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 pm

What a brilliant way of preventing accidents - that'll make sure they remember to put the condom on before the boking on the back seat sets off the camera! :D :D

Oh! What's that? Oh! Not that type of accident?

Nigel :wink:
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Cynical view - those who drive safely anyway, will continue to do so. Those in search of danger will soon find a way to disable the camera. What parent is going to sit down and watch the footage of every minute of their kid's driving, after the novelty has worn off, perhaps the first 5 journeys...?

Idealistic view - I'd prefer to teach them properly first, so that when they're released on their own, I can have confidence they're learning with every mile, but without too many life threatening moments along the way. I'd hate to be reduced to spying.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 pm

I always remember Johnny Walker (when he hosted the Drivetime show on Radio 2) interviewing Steve Berry (the biker that used to be on the previous format Top Gear). Steve's daughter was just coming up to taking her driving test and Steve had bought her a car. He bought a classic sports car. Why? Because teh performance wasn't fantastic, though it still held some street cred, the main reason, though, was that it was only a 2-seater. Thus seriously reducing one of the biggest causes of accidents involving young drivers - that of peer pressure!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Was that Berry, pronounced Burreh?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:03 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Was that Berry, pronounced Burreh?

He now presents on 106.1 Rock Radio (only in the Manchester area, but on t'internet).
Most excellent.
crr003

Return to General Car Chat Forum