Audi RS5

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Just seen this on Piston Heads.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/241 ... 8d2bd369c6

With the exception of the Aston Martin, the best looking modern car.

Opinions please

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Getting one for your next teaching car then? :D

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby fungus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Oops, sorry, the photo is currently unavailable. Go to Piston Heads

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/

Nigel
fungus

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Struggling to get excited about an Audi with oversized wheels. Not my cup of tea, sorry :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby fungus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Don't think my insurance company would like that idea Nigel. Those alloys and ultra low profile tyres would cost a fortune to replace if they get kerbed. Pupils would love it though. Although in all reality it would frighten the life out of them.

Nigel
fungus

Postby firstmk1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:06 am

And anyone else on the same road! :shock:
Ian
firstmk1

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 am

Erm, it's another Audi ... :?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:14 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Erm, it's another Audi ... :?

Yeah, right. Nothing to get worked up about.

I don't get very excited about cars these days - they're largely a waste of money - but we need something to get around in. A nice 406 HDi is perfectly adequate. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:44 pm

It will be a great car. The RS4, no longer in production, was an excellent sports car and this will be similar but in a great looking body and no doubt with some improvements. Had it been around when I ordered the M3 I would have been tempted. I look forward to comparison tests.

Among things that it won't be are green, and spacious inside in relation to it's length
waremark

Postby jont » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:22 pm

waremark wrote:It will be a great car. The RS4, no longer in production, was an excellent sports car and this will be similar but in a great looking body and no doubt with some improvements. Had it been around when I ordered the M3 I would have been tempted. I look forward to comparison tests.

Sorry Mark, but no matter how good a car the RS4 was, it's not a sports car. A sports car to me is about an involving drive, light weight and responsiveness. No matter how good the RS4 engineers are, there's far too much metal to move around for it to be a "sports" car. (and that's without even getting into debates about 2 seats, RWD vs 4WD etc). I wouldn't call a fast Evo or Impreza a sports car even if they are as quick as anything else on a cross country route. OTOH an MGB or a Spitfire, slow and unreliable as they might be, are proper sports cars.

I'm sure the RS5 will be an amazing piece of engineering and technology, but I suspect it's overall competence will diminish the driving experience.
jont

Postby stefan einz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 pm

jont wrote:
waremark wrote:It will be a great car. The RS4, no longer in production, was an excellent sports car and this will be similar but in a great looking body and no doubt with some improvements. Had it been around when I ordered the M3 I would have been tempted. I look forward to comparison tests.

Sorry Mark, but no matter how good a car the RS4 was, it's not a sports car. A sports car to me is about an involving drive, light weight and responsiveness. No matter how good the RS4 engineers are, there's far too much metal to move around for it to be a "sports" car. (and that's without even getting into debates about 2 seats, RWD vs 4WD etc). I wouldn't call a fast Evo or Impreza a sports car even if they are as quick as anything else on a cross country route. OTOH an MGB or a Spitfire, slow and unreliable as they might be, are proper sports cars.

I'm sure the RS5 will be an amazing piece of engineering and technology, but I suspect it's overall competence will diminish the driving experience.

+1.

Fantastic car, no doubt, but you'll have learnt everything about it within about a week. Not a driver's car, I'm afraid (all IMO of course!).

For the same money, I'd rather have a 3 series and one of these:

8)

Kind regards

Steve
stefan einz

Return to General Car Chat Forum