*Bad Weather--- Am I the only person...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:17 am

Renny wrote:RH,

another option on the downhill strech in 1st, is when you start to lose grip due to excessive engine breaking, gently apply a little throttle, allowing the wheels to increase speed slightly. This is seriously counter intuitive :roll:

Alternatively as TripleS suggested, dip the clutch to allow the wheels to speed up.

I should have added that unless you can re-engage the clutch very gently, the jerk may be a handicap to restoring sufficient grip at the driven wheels to permit further engine braking to be effective....or words to that effect.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:15 pm

After reading john miles book I decided this winter to keep a small shovel and some grit in my car. Obviously you can't grit the whole road but it worked nicely to get my car out of the road and into my drive when idiot down the road abandoned hi work truck next to my car blocking the road for my neighbours.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby moncainthewilds » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Getting hold of some Hessian Sacks (from Garden Centre) or old carpet samples can come in useful, if not for you for someone else who may be stuck.
Weather like this they always go in my boot plus a shovel and tow rope. I have been told I am mad, but they have been useful to help others out of drifts.

Monica
moncainthewilds

Postby Red Herring » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Renny wrote:RH,

another option on the downhill strech in 1st, is when you start to lose grip due to excessive engine breaking, gently apply a little throttle, allowing the wheels to increase speed slightly. This is seriously counter intuitive :roll:

Have considered this but remember we are also braking so that the grip from the rear wheels comes into play and helps stop the speed building up, and cadence braking, dipping the clutch and applying a little throttle all at the same time might prove quite challenging for us two footed southerners.... :D
Red Herring

Postby Renny » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:11 am

Has Big Err been spilling the beans again? :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum