IAM Senior Observer training day

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Wed May 31, 2006 1:58 pm

WhiskyDelta, what are the breakdown of driving class's in your constabulary. Other than a more "in depth" appreciation of pursuit work, did you learn anything different or new when going from Response to Advanced?
James

Postby WhiskyDelta » Wed May 31, 2006 3:55 pm

Re your previous,

We had Grade 1 & 2 (Class 1 & 2) which depended on how you did in your written exam and advanced drive. It is now just classed as Advanced, however I achieved the original Class 1.

Advanced is all vehicles except HGV and Motor Cycles.

Grade 3 is Traffic Vehicles under supervision of an advanced driver.

Grade 4 is basic beat vehicles (Response)

Grade 5 is basic beat vehicles by way of test without a course. To drive in a response situation obviously you have to have completed the course.

TPAC is a different matter.
IAM Examiner.
WhiskyDelta

Postby James » Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 pm

We have a similar system, bit more simple though.

Basic

Response

Advanced

Basic drivers can drive response vehicles NOT in response mode, Response Drivers can drive Response Vehicles, and also Advanced Vehicles NOT in response mode, and Advanced covers Response and Advanced vehicles. I have heard we have abolished the Class 1 and 2 as well because the Commissioner just wants "Advanced" drivers. Don't know if this is true though.

I hate the politics surrounding driving classes and categories. People seem to judge your abilities by your class. What about the Basic driver, who has all the necessary skills to be a Class 1 and self trained in their own time, but is not given a course? (Try and get any half decent course in the Met, join the very, very, very long queue). What about the Advanced Driver who returns to the frontline having been in an office job for 9 years, and then gets check tested by a "friend", who obviously passes them, despite the fact their driving standards have slipped and there may be a need for further or refresher training?

Politics, Bureaucracy and Assumptions.

I notice a Response Driver is a Grade 4 on your list. This means they are 3 classes down from a Class 1 then. So what about the Response Driver that is at a Class 1 standard? I assume, like with is, they cannot be classified as such because they are only on a Response Course and not an Advanced one, no matter how good they may be...
James

Postby Eutopia » Wed May 31, 2006 7:44 pm

I know what you mean P_D. We have a similar system to you. When I took my advanced course, we concentrated more on the tactical phase of the pursuit, and spent 2 weeks doing lead and follows with the instructor's driving the target vehicle.

However, in terms of the drive and theory, there was no additional information required. In fact, having not done commentary since my response course, I felt I had lost the skill somewhat and was really rusty. My capabilities at final drive felt no different to that on my response course. I felt I was at exactly the same standard as on my response, but just being marked to a higher level.
Eutopia

Postby vonhosen » Wed May 31, 2006 9:07 pm

There is a world of difference between the levels you will be expected to perform at in order to attain a Class 1 or a response pass.

The pursuit element in an advanced course is also totally different to the "basic" level of pursuit introduced on a response course & requires levels of observation, anticipation & planning far removed from response driving.

It is of course also true that gaining any qualification (whatever level) is only an indication of your performance on your course & the day of the test. You will only maintain or improve on your standard by working hard after your course. You are only as good as your last drive, so make every one a good one.

Police_Driver wrote:What about the Basic driver, who has all the necessary skills to be a Class 1 and self trained in their own time, but is not given a course?

It's a bit chicken & egg, but the basic driver wouldn't be able to develop the skills required to get a class 1 on their own. They would have no exemption from the speed limit to perfect their driving at the sort of pace required on public roads in order to attain a Class 1 standards of safe progress. It is also one of the big differences between response & advanced (the minimum level of safe progress you would be expected to realise in order to pass). It is far easier retaining the first 3 S's at lower speeds than higher speeds.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby WhiskyDelta » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:09 am

The response course, or Short Standard driving course is just the same as you will see in the Roadcraft Video, even though it was made some years ago.

The advanced course is longer and more involved, especially on refreshers of which I have done a few.

We have had a number of officers come to Traffic who have completed an outside Advanced course, usually IAM, it all helps .

I have just done a final assessment on someone who is going on a response course.
IAM Examiner.
WhiskyDelta

Postby JamesAllport » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:41 am

One of the IAM groups I observe for went through a phase about 12 months ago when lots of police officers were signing up while they were waiting for their Standard Response course, or to give them an advantage in the competition to get a place on a course.

I coached a couple, and really enjoyed it because they were motivated and disciplined. I also tried to give them a slightly "gutsier" style than I would with some IAM associates, trying to put the foundations in place for the degree of contrast and accuracy that they will need at high speed on their police course and was more careful about some of the detail: gear grip, cockpit drills.

But it was quite stressful knowing that my coaching was either going to be endorsed or demolished when they arrived at Hendon!

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum