Second Hand Car Child Seats

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Anyone with children in car seats who think that purchasing them second had from unknown sources is daft with your precious children (Well mine are to me).

Was helping a guy at work pump his tyre up and noticed his stage 1 seat was a pretty old britax number (Partner used to be a trainer for mothercare/britax and so I know my car seats). He is older than me in his 30's but is only an assistant survyor with a base model golf plus. I asked if the seat was a friends or relatives and he said it was £10 charity shop job bargin, although he will spend £800 on a new surf board.

Should these charity shops be selling seats they dont know the history of?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Yes. I sell second hand car seats. My business partner just bought one.
Caveat emptor.
7db

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:19 pm

7db wrote:Yes. I sell second hand car seats. My business partner just bought one.
Caveat emptor.

Is this part of your busniess? How do you check the history and know whether they have been involved in a crash etc..
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby MGF » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:24 pm

People might not realise that they can be become unreliable. I think they have to be compliant with the recent standards and had to have instructions with them to be a lawful sale.

Some info here

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosin ... _seats.htm
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Well I have bought two infant carriers (One from my best mate and other cost me a monkey) then I have 3Nr stage one as my daughter is 16months and I have britax eclipse si which which my parnter got free/new which is in my mums car. And then in my cars I have two maxi cosi prior xp's which I bought new last year and this. Total cost £284 is that really that dear to make sure my little girl is as safe as possible.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:33 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
7db wrote:Yes. I sell second hand car seats. My business partner just bought one.
Caveat emptor.

Is this part of your busniess? How do you check the history and know whether they have been involved in a crash etc..

Technically my business is enabling other people to sell theirs. I ask people whether there are any faults that they need to declare.
7db

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:34 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Total cost £284 is that really that dear to make sure my little girl is as safe as possible.

For 12 grand you could hire her a bodyguard detail for a week. I think you're a bad parent if you don't.
7db

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:40 pm

7db wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Total cost £284 is that really that dear to make sure my little girl is as safe as possible.

For 12 grand you could hire her a bodyguard detail for a week. I think you're a bad parent if you don't.

7db There is a world of difference in making sure a safety item is working as should be and safe from defects to having a bodyguard for normal child dont be pedantic.

The other issue with secondhand seats is there is normally a world of difference between what you like and what fits in your car correctly. I wanted the recaro all singing all dancing stage 1,2,3 but it didnt fit the 9th best selling new family car in europe so I got another maxi cosi.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:42 pm

I own a second-hand crash helmet I bought off eBay. OMG I'm gonna die .... :shock: :shock: ----->

Question: when your daughter grows out of this array of expensive car seats you have for her, will you sell them on? Or will you ensure that they are destroyed so that nobody could be exposed to a used item?
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:47 pm

jbsportstech wrote:7db There is a world of difference in making sure a safety item is working as should be and safe from defects to having a bodyguard for normal child dont be pedantic.

I think it was satire rather than pedantry. This is pedantry.
7db

Postby jont » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:02 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
7db wrote:

7db There is a world of difference in making sure a safety item is working as should be and safe from defects to having a bodyguard for normal child dont be pedantic.

Have you owned your car from new JB? Had it on a jig to make sure nothing is out of true and that it's never been crashed? How about crash testing it to make sure all the airbags work properly and there's no sign of structural rust yet?
jont

Postby Octy_Ross » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 pm

7db wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:7db There is a world of difference in making sure a safety item is working as should be and safe from defects to having a bodyguard for normal child dont be pedantic.

I think it was satire rather than pedantry. This is pedantry.

I thought it was satirical...pedant points not awarded :-)
Octy_Ross

Postby 7db » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm afraid not.
Pedanticnessly yours
db
7db

Return to General Car Chat Forum