Run Flat tyres.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

GS wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:................... he was bragging how good these where until I told him they where supposed to be run flats :roll: :D BMW void your warrenty on those if you dont use those.

Not according to BMW they don't.

What I've been told is that if I want to remove the run flats I can but if I wanted to sell the car or part ex it back to BMW it would either have to have run flats fitted or the price would be dropped by the cost of a set of run flats.

I have been told by three BMW garages that the tyres do not effect the warranty, although some people have suggested that it might be worth informing the insurance company in case they view it as a modification away from the manufacturer's specifications.

The bmw dealer is wales told him this......might be different this that side of severn :D
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Which track did you manage to get 140mph out of a Focus ST on, Jbs? It must have a very long straight, wherever it is ...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Which track did you manage to get 140mph out of a Focus ST on, Jbs? It must have a very long straight, wherever it is ...

not a focus ST (225bhp t5 volvo lump) its the lessor mk1 st (170) which is not standard and topped out in 5th and 142mph gps confirmed, as for the track the name escapes me :wink:
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Ah, the well known South West RoSPA test track, no doubt. :roll:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Ah, the well known South West RoSPA test track, no doubt. :roll:

No not the same one Jay(nuster100) uses for 155mph runs 3 a breast.
:shock:
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby SteveG » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:18 am

On the subject of tyre sealers and whether, or not, they a) damage the tyres or b) prevent punctures from being repaired. In off-road circles many people use sealing agents in their tyres as the risks of getting a puncture are higher then on-road. Murphy's Law would also tell you that you will only get a puncture in a position that makes a wheel change impossible .. or at the very least downright dangerous.

I use a liquid sealer in my off-road tyres for this very reason and it has worked very well. Trust me I've had a few punctures including one from a piece of sharpened angle-iron that was deliberately set into the ground and then camouflaged to prevent detection - my hobby is not popular or welcomed in some places. The damage caused by this incident wasn't severe but was in an area that cannot be repaired but the seal is still holding some 18 months later. Other punctures I've experienced in those tyres have been repaired without problem in several tyre emporiums - some kwiker than others :)

It's very easy for a tyre supplier to say it can't be fixed specially if it means you end up buying a new tyre from them :wink:
Regards

Steve
ex-IAM member
SteveG

Postby nuster100 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 am

jbsportstech wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Ah, the well known South West RoSPA test track, no doubt. :roll:

No not the same one Jay(nuster100) uses for 155mph runs 3 a breast.
:shock:

That track was de-comissioned over 12 months ago JB.

JR
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby GS » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 am

SteveG wrote:On the subject of tyre sealers..........

I use a liquid sealer in my off-road tyres for this very reason and it has worked very well. Trust me I've had a few punctures including one from a piece of sharpened angle-iron that was deliberately set into the ground and then camouflaged to prevent detection - my hobby is not popular or welcomed in some places. The damage caused by this incident wasn't severe but was in an area that cannot be repaired but the seal is still holding some 18 months later. Other punctures I've experienced in those tyres have been repaired without problem in several tyre emporiums - some kwiker than others :)

Thanks for this.

Can you tell me which make of sealer you use please?
GS
GS

Postby SteveG » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

GS wrote:
SteveG wrote:On the subject of tyre sealers..........

Thanks for this.

Can you tell me which make of sealer you use please?

Ah, now you've got me - I don't remember the name of the stuff. I bought 5 gallons of it as a job lot several years ago and it's in a plain white can which used to contain something else. It's added to the tyre before initial inflation by simply pumping about 200ml (they're big tyres :) ) through the valve and then pumping up the tyre. To ensure the liquid is then dispersed around the tyre I go for a drive up the motorway - when the steering stops shaking the job's done :)

The liquid turns into a rubbery film inside the tyre which can be scraped away again to effect repairs. Looks and feels a bit like latex and often comes away from the whole of the tyre in one piece.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(
Regards

Steve
ex-IAM member
SteveG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum