Should Top Gear be championing road safety?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sun May 03, 2009 10:37 pm

I have just watched Top Gear on Dave too. I dont think anyone can deny that feul consumption is affected by the way the vehicle is driven.

On the subject of stabilising a trailer or caravan that is snaking. Top Gear tested this a few years ago, with a stunt man towing a caravan, deliberately setting up a weave. IIRC, on the first run the stunt man followed DSA advice, and eased off the accelerator gently. The caravan stabilsed. On the second run, he accelerated to pull the caravan out of the weave, as per the advice that used to be given by the Caravan Club. The caravan snaked more violently, and turned over. The conclusion was that you shoud ease off the accelerator gently, letting the caravan stabilise. I'm not sure Jeremy Clarkson was convinced though.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby zadocbrown » Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 pm

Sadly you can't educate people by systematically attempting to suppress advice or views which are deemed to be 'wrong' or 'irresponsible'.
zadocbrown

Postby Daaave » Mon May 04, 2009 7:37 pm

The question is - how do you turn something like Chris Gilbert's driving DVD into entertainment whilst not loosing the message? I found his DVD very interesting, but not entertaining (as expected) and whenever I had it on anyone else in the room would immediately assume I was turning into a driving anorak.

The most entertaining part of any of those advanced driving DVDs was during the Mark Kendrick DVD when the ex-police guy was driving and commented on 'the TVR making good progress up the hill' with a backdrop of V8. :twisted:
Daaave

Postby MGF » Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 pm

The report is here for those who are interested in it rather than the ABD's opinion.

Two things struck me from the report. It doesn't offer any evidence that the relationship between fast driving and glamour in films and TV influences people to speed although I am sure plenty of people are some of the time.

I think we are more conscious now than we ever were about speeding. We haven't had much choice.

Secondly, Top Gear doesn't appear to be being 'blamed' for anything by the report as I couldn't find a suggestion that the programme should be changed.

It seems to me that the report merely suggests more should be done by insurance companies to deter people from speeding.

Interestingly Jim Fitzpatrick mentions appropriate speed on the same sentence as driving within the limit.
MGF

Postby zadocbrown » Tue May 05, 2009 2:22 pm

The main thing that strikes me about the report is how ignorant it is.

Speed has always had an element of glamour, ever since people realised that being able to run faster gave you an advantage. The only thing that is new is that we've gone from running, to chariot racing, to cars.

The thrill of the chase is deeply imprinted in human nature, so to suggest that fast driving is an epidemic that was caused by watching certain types of film is simply ridiculous. :roll:
zadocbrown

Postby fungus » Tue May 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Perhaps Mr Neave, the various ministers involved in roads policy, and the "experts" from Brake, should read Stephen Haleys book Mind Driving.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Tue May 05, 2009 7:32 pm

I wondered how many of these people actually have a lower risk profile and can drive as well as some of us. Certainly from what I am told many are just as bad drivers as the ones they are trying to legislate against.

Unless anyone can tell me different?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby TripleS » Wed May 06, 2009 9:26 am

jbsportstech wrote:I wondered how many of these people actually have a lower risk profile and can drive as well as some of us. Certainly from what I am told many are just as bad drivers as the ones they are trying to legislate against.

Unless anyone can tell me different?

I can't tell you differently, you are probably right. My suspicion is that they are mostly:

a) people with a bee in their bonnet, and
b) in positions of power and influence

and from this they are able to get a lot of publicity and lead things in certain directions. I doubt if many of them have a very constructive - let alone inspirational - feel for the subject of safety or indeed our road usage generally.

What is needed is somebody who can communicate with road user groups in meaningful ways and give the entire culture a lift.

With regard to the TG programme, I'd leave it alone. It is an entertainment programme, and not one that appeals to me, but a great many people seem to enjoy it so that's fine. We need a fresh start with an entirely separate programme format that can have a strong appeal on a different basis. I wouldn't want to try to dictate how things should be, but I would quite like to be part of a group that sought to develop the general format for such a venture.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Wed May 06, 2009 10:17 am

Dave,

I know someone who was elected into the industrial road safety officers and they apparently didnt have a clue about good driving just sat around a table grinding theirs axes.

With reference to top gear I agree with dave its not very pc and I like it although I sometimes cringe at the driving, if you made it into a road safety programme then it would lose its appeal with alot of petrol heads who think they are driving gods and the only thing that will improve there drive is more power. Thats a large majority of the fan base !

Did anyone notice james may mention the policemans shuffle from roadcraft when he was driving he lexus police car? I think even he mocks the system and techniques.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 06, 2009 12:09 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Did anyone notice james may mention the policemans shuffle from roadcraft when he was driving he lexus police car? I think even he mocks the system and techniques.

I was going to mention this. When I watched it, I didn't think he was mocking it at all and in fact in a few of his Telegraph columns he's made reference to driving using the police system of car control.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum