Driving Challenge Game from DoT

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm

jbsportstech wrote,

When the dsa dn dft realise that producing games for new/current drivers to 'learn' to play will not make for safer drivers.

Thats exactly the point James. 17/18yr olds are generaly good at computor games, but not so good at reading the road, due to inexperience.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Nigeladi yes but if it doesn't translate to their road driving whats the point!!!

The hazard preception test IMO has done very little to make more aware drivers.

I know within a 2 hrs of passing my driving test I was driving a 1.8 Cavalier hell for leather down a dual track at 100mph thinking thats all that rubish over with never drive liek that again. How do we stop that?? I was that person once and I can't answer that question.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby fungus » Wed May 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Exactly James, I was as bad at 17. In hindsight, and with 40 yrs experience I'm sure that the actions of other, more experienced drivers, avoided serious incidents I could have had in some instances all those years ago. Fortunately for me the only accident I had was a minor scrape in a car park, when reversing out of a parking place. I reversed out too fast, missjudged the position of the car next to me, and caught its rear bumper, which being a Ford Corsair, wrapped around, and was bolted to the rear of the rear wing. The ticket of intended prosecution that was issued when I reported it to the Police (I was not prosecuted), and the increase in my insurance premium, calmed me down a bit. Unfortunately for some, they do not get off so lightly.

This may seem a pessimistic, and defeatest attitude, but to be truthfull, in some cases you know that you're banging your head against a brick wall. They may agree with you, but deep down you know what they will do as soon as they pass their test. One ADI I knew a few years ago, told me of a pupil who had just passed his test. On taking the pupil home after the test, he was greeted by the boys mother. "Don't let him have the keys on his own" the ADI said to the boys mother. If I were the boys parent, and an ADI said that, I'de be worried sick.

Personaly, unless these tests are improved dramaticaly, and made pro-active, not re-active, they will continue to be a complete wast of time.The only way to improve young drivers attitude, is to firstly, stop banging on about speed. They become bored with it, and take no notice. Secondly, and I hope most ADIs do this. Discuss the various issues with them. Get their ideas. Point out the pros and cons. Make the more advanced learners give a crude commentary. It does make most realise that their observations are not as good as they thought. This is far more use than a computor game. But of course that would not earn anything for the DSA.

Cynical Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum