Get rich from speed cameras and get caught speeding!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Thu May 07, 2009 6:54 am

firstmk1 wrote:why does it matter how 'rich' he is or who he works for? Unless you work for a news agency and it's a quiet day.

So you'd be happy to work for a company that produces a product to enforce an arbitrary law on a large proportion of the population, and yet expect sympathy if you got caught by a similar product yourself?

I guess a more interesting question is how the information became public before he appeared in court.
jont

Postby MGF » Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Riall isn't just supplying speed cameras. His company involves itself in the politics that surround them. Including the conflation of speeding and reckless driving which remains controversial.

Last year, Mr Riall was prominent in an anti-speeding initiative, sponsored by Serco, called "Safe Drive Stay Alive''. He said at the time: "We see the direct consequences of reckless and dangerous driving every single day. For far too many young people it ends with a prison sentence but for the families left behind the pain lasts much longer.”

Hypocrisy is the news here, not speeding.

This report also confirms his ban was for 'totting-up'
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm

MGF wrote:Riall isn't just supplying speed cameras. His company involves itself in the politics that surround them. Including the conflation of speeding and reckless driving which remains controversial.

Last year, Mr Riall was prominent in an anti-speeding initiative, sponsored by Serco, called "Safe Drive Stay Alive''. He said at the time: "We see the direct consequences of reckless and dangerous driving every single day. For far too many young people it ends with a prison sentence but for the families left behind the pain lasts much longer.”

Hypocrisy is the news here, not speeding.

This report also confirms his ban was for 'totting-up'

Yes but its seems to me its all been a farce and front he has put on in order to 'peddle' his companies products and services. If this was a one of but in the last 3 years he has been caught speeding several times and this time doing over 32mph above the limit, so in mind he is an idiot and hypocrit . Also don't see how he can continue his role for serco as I would say he has made a grave error.

I am not whiter than white but I don't champion speed inforcement and work within the industry. I think he should resign from his role within serco !
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby zadocbrown » Thu May 07, 2009 4:55 pm

He said that he told a police officer who stopped him that he believed he had been travelling at 90mph.

In other words, he's perfectly aware of the Fixed penalty guidelines and "please can I just have the 3 points officer?"

I think when we have so many police officers, politicians, and other people involved in 'road safety' being convicted of this type of offence (and surely there are many more who get away with it) we have to ask whether it's a case of people being hypocritical and not knowing what's good for them, or whether we're simply barking up the wrong tree, policy wise. Maybe such people intuitively know what they can't afford to admit openly?
zadocbrown

Postby TripleS » Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
He said that he told a police officer who stopped him that he believed he had been travelling at 90mph.

In other words, he's perfectly aware of the Fixed penalty guidelines and "please can I just have the 3 points officer?"

I think when we have so many police officers, politicians, and other people involved in 'road safety' being convicted of this type of offence (and surely there are many more who get away with it) we have to ask whether it's a case of people being hypocritical and not knowing what's good for them, or whether we're simply barking up the wrong tree, policy wise. Maybe such people intuitively know what they can't afford to admit openly?

That is their problem, but as far as I'm concerned we're barking up the wrong tree, policy wise. A great deal of this 'speeding problem' is not actually a problem at all. The whole regime of limits and enforcement and penalties on road users is simply not worth bothering with in relation to the benefit that accrues.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum