Garmin FM transmitter firmware warning

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Custom24 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi
Just a quick warning about installing the latest software onto your nuvi.

Since I've done this, the FM transmitter has been unusable.

The reason is that after a few seconds of no voice directions, the FM transmitter seems to turn itself off, and this results in a loud static noise on the car radio. You have to press the button for "next direction" to re-activate the FM transmitter. Pressing the menu button does not re-activate it.

I saw something in the release notes which might be related;

Changes from version 4.60 to version 4.70:
Added power off for FM transmitter after 5 seconds of non-use.

I've spoken to someone at Garmin UK support on the phone and he's informed me that this change has been made to comply with a change in European law which requires that the FM channel should be free unless it is actually in use.

I'm trying to convince them to either provide a feature allowing me to turn this option off or allow me to roll back the software to an earlier version, but they are insistent that they will not, and their suggestions about how to cope with the FM transmitter like this were unhelpful (eg turn down the radio between directions).

Bottom line - don't upgrade your nuvi's software unless you have to, and are prepared to live with this.
Custom24

Postby Custom24 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Custom24

Postby TripleS » Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Custom24 wrote:Hi
Just a quick warning about installing the latest software onto your nuvi.

Since I've done this, the FM transmitter has been unusable.

The reason is that after a few seconds of no voice directions, the FM transmitter seems to turn itself off, and this results in a loud static noise on the car radio. You have to press the button for "next direction" to re-activate the FM transmitter. Pressing the menu button does not re-activate it.

I saw something in the release notes which might be related;

Changes from version 4.60 to version 4.70:
Added power off for FM transmitter after 5 seconds of non-use.

I've spoken to someone at Garmin UK support on the phone and he's informed me that this change has been made to comply with a change in European law which requires that the FM channel should be free unless it is actually in use.

I'm trying to convince them to either provide a feature allowing me to turn this option off or allow me to roll back the software to an earlier version, but they are insistent that they will not, and their suggestions about how to cope with the FM transmitter like this were unhelpful (eg turn down the radio between directions).

Bottom line - don't upgrade your nuvi's software unless you have to, and are prepared to live with this.

I'm making a mental note to avoid buying a Garmin Nuvi product if their attitude is as unhelpful as that.

....and the European law makers can get stuffed as well.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Custom24 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Apparently, TomTom have just disabled the FM transmitter altogether in their software upgrades, so at least with Garmin, there is a workaround.

The Garmin method would not be a problem if the car stereo was clever enough not to just play static - maybe some are.
Custom24

Postby Gareth » Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Custom24 wrote:The Garmin method would not be a problem if the car stereo was clever enough not to just play static - maybe some are.

Some are.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jbsportstech » Tue May 26, 2009 7:33 pm

dont say that I was going to replace my 2nd tomtom with a garmin as I though the grass was greaner and less bloomin expensive. Every is etc on tomtom and there go range and pricey to start with.

With new software updates on the tomtom go 520 I have they stopped the fm transmitting directions and now you can only do music. :evil: and within 28 days of buying it the map and cameras are out of date and they want me to hitting them up about another £50 when I rrp was £230-240 of my new unit.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby waremark » Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 am

The latest TT software has apparently re-activated the FM transmitter feature. I never used it anyway.
waremark

Postby jbsportstech » Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 am

waremark wrote:The latest TT software has apparently re-activated the FM transmitter feature. I never used it anyway.

Are waremark when was that I put a new software on early this month and a new map the other day? I haven't tried it though as I lost the functionality about last nov.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Wed May 27, 2009 8:17 pm

My tt go520 has the lastest map and software and the fm transmitter only works for music still as it has done for about 7-8 months since a they changed the software.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Another advantage of paper maps, just a quiet rustle every now and then when the page turns over ... :D
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Wed May 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Another advantage of paper maps, just a quiet rustle every now and then when the page turns over ... :D

Yup, the "ouch" of the paper cut, the "where does that road go?" across the pages and the "oh no, not again" as you lose the page because the roof is off, the "we wanted that one" as you whistle past your junction, or "no, I meant the other left :roll:". Can't beat those paper maps eh? Oh and, ChrisWK will also sympathise that they don't work so well in the dark :lol:
jont

Postby waremark » Wed May 27, 2009 11:49 pm

From TT website:

Version 8.350

(TomTom GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40)

Re-enables route instructions through FM Transmitter (GO x20, GO x30 only)(only when music is also being transmitted)
Improves phone book transfer to the navigation device
Minor improvements

As mentioned, not of interest to me as I never used this feature.
waremark

Postby jbsportstech » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

waremark wrote:From TT website:

Version 8.350

Re-enables route instructions through FM Transmitter (GO x20, GO x30 only)(only when music is also being transmitted)
Minor improvements

Thanks I ran an update last night which didnt change it. I will check when I get home what version I have.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:35 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
waremark wrote:From TT website:

Version 8.350

Minor improvements

Thanks I ran an update last night which didnt change it. I will check when I get home what version I have.

James - is it working as the release note says when music is also being transmitted? In that case you should be able to use the same kind of workaround as I posted about for Garmin (ie either play a silent mp3 on a loop, or play any mp3, but alter the settings so the volume of the mp3 channel is zero).

If you need a silent mp3, I can construct you one or you can probably find one on the interweb.
Custom24

Return to General Car Chat Forum