Driving with loads

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:45 am

I am being told that driving in the 3rd lane of motorway is not permitted if you have a roof box or something attached to you roof rack is that correct?

A friend of mines younger brother in law's friend apparently was stopped and fined for doing so with something on his roof rack.

Is that right?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby michael769 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:04 am

You cannot use the right hand lane of a motorway with more than 2 lanes (unless at least one lane is closed) if you are towing a trailer. But I can see nothing about a roof rack.

Some manufacturers have a maximum recommended speed (when carrying a roof rack) that is usually substantially below 70 MPH (in my first car is was 30mph) . Perhaps the police felt he was going too fast with his roofrack and was fined for unsafe load?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

That what I thought if towing but roof rack is not subject to such restrictions 60mph limit or no 3rd driving.

Probably the fact he is 19 and either the story has got distorted by the time my friend told it to me or he was driving like a wolly/dodgy load of his roof rack and he got fined.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Return to General Car Chat Forum