Drive better with Autocar

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Renny » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Drive bewtter with Autocar

Looks like someone else is picking up the message and promoting it. Let's hope the readership supports it.

I do think that there may need to be a change in the editorial stance where they are often seen to condone/promote exceeding the speed limits on the public highways during their road tests.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Renny wrote,

Looks like someone else is picking up the message and promoting it. Let's hope the readership supports it.

I do think that there may need to be a change in the editorial stance where they are often seen to condone/promote exceeding the speed limits on the public highways during their road tests.

My thoughts exactly Renny,

Unfortunately we are still suffering from the SPEED KILLS mantra, and the thought of the removal of "life saving" speed cameras would horrify many safety campaigners (BRAKE)! let alone the thought of putting the fun back in driving. I'm sure that would be absolutely abhorrent to some.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby daz6215 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:50 pm

My opinion is that unfortunately I think camera's are a necessary evil on the roads, yes there is no discretion with them but there is a minority out there who will never change the way they drive through the use of education and engineering, they are on duty 24 hours and the mobile sites keep joe public on his toes too! Dont forget some of the reasons why the camera's are there, 3 KSI's over a 3 year period for the fixed and 1 KSI for the mobile, surely if that can prevent any more KSI's at an accident blackspot then it should be there. I do also believe that it was a wrong move to reduce traf pol because lets face camera's do have their limitations and would also be nice to see some of the other stuff that goes on being dealt with, A quick example of this did happen to me a few weeks ago when a car behind me at a mini RB decided to overtake me on the approach to the RB and then proceeded to offside the disc only to find out that an unmarked Volvo was right behind her as she done it, did make a nice change to see bad driving caught in the act! :twisted:
daz6215

Postby ROG » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 am

daz6215 wrote: I think camera's are a necessary evil on the roads,

IMO - the ones that light up if going over the limit as a reminder to the driver work just as well and do not cause resentment.
But they do not produce cash either :wink:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 am

ROG wrote:IMO - the ones that light up if going over the limit as a reminder to the driver work just as well and do not cause resentment.

Depends how accurately they are set up. I resent mostt of the ones around our area as they seem to be set 1-2mph low - in that I can be driving at an indicated 30 (or even 28/29mph) and they will still light up. IMHO that gives the wrong message to drivers because they take the view that if they are going to go off even when not speeding, why bother slowing down/paying heed to the reminder. If they were set 2-3mph over the limit so you must be speeding for them to go off, they may be more effective. Life's too short to bother arguing with the local authority about trying to get them fixed.
jont

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 am

ROG wrote:
daz6215 wrote:IMO - the ones that light up if going over the limit as a reminder to the driver work just as well and do not cause resentment.

My favourite ones are the 3-digit "check your speed" displays :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:55 pm

jont wrote:
ROG wrote:IMO - the ones that light up if going over the limit as a reminder to the driver work just as well and do not cause resentment.

Depends how accurately they are set up. I resent mostt of the ones around our area as they seem to be set 1-2mph low - in that I can be driving at an indicated 30 (or even 28/29mph) and they will still light up. IMHO that gives the wrong message to drivers because they take the view that if they are going to go off even when not speeding, why bother slowing down/paying heed to the reminder. If they were set 2-3mph over the limit so you must be speeding for them to go off, they may be more effective. Life's too short to bother arguing with the local authority about trying to get them fixed.

That's my feeling too. They are an irritant when they light up at too low a speed, and I think this leads people to ignore them.

They ought not to respond until you are at least ten percent over the limit, at which point most drivers would probably acknowledge their error and trim the speed a bit.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:03 pm

chriskay wrote:I liked the ones I saw in Scotland which flashed "thank you" if you were under the limit. I found myself paying perhaps a little more attention to my speed just to see that. :wink:

Agreed again. I think a better level of co-operation with these signs would be forthcoming if they were to incorporate "please" and "thank you" into the displays. I doubt if it would cost much extra, and it would be better than these bald instructions to comply.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to General Car Chat Forum