Fuel prices

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:00 pm

jont wrote:
PeterE wrote:And does anyone know if the engine still switches off if the aircon compressor is operating, as surely that would flatten the battery in short order?

Usually the compressor is driven off the crank (via a belt/pulleys) in the same way as the alternator, so if the engine isn't turning, the air-con compressor won't be either. More interesting will be in winter when you've got headlights, demisters etc etc. You would hope with the modern electronics in cars they can monitor battery voltage/drain and restart the engine before it gets too flat to crank properly.

I understand cars with stop-start technology have uprated batteries to cope.
zadocbrown

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:19 pm

The BMW's also have "regenerative braking" too which may go some way to helping.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:56 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:The BMW's also have "regenerative braking" too which may go some way to helping.

And I'm sure the lack of indicators on the BMWs will make a marginal improvement too :twisted:
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:54 am

jont wrote:
PeterE wrote:And does anyone know if the engine still switches off if the aircon compressor is operating, as surely that would flatten the battery in short order?

Usually the compressor is driven off the crank (via a belt/pulleys) in the same way as the alternator, so if the engine isn't turning, the air-con compressor won't be either. More interesting will be in winter when you've got headlights, demisters etc etc. You would hope with the modern electronics in cars they can monitor battery voltage/drain and restart the engine before it gets too flat to crank properly.

Ah, now I can see a possible improvement here. It might prevent people sitting around in parked cars with their headlights left on!!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum