Reversing lens / A pillar obscuration

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 am

Renny wrote: Horse,

please don't take this the wrong way, but did you not consider "safety" before you chose the car? :?

The Skoda is not too bad in most repects, but I do wish more manufacturers would offer heated windscreens and mirrors like the Discovery has.

Not taken the wrong way at all - it's a very valid question. Unfortunately, I'm not its main driver or registered keeper. Does that answer the question? ;)

Mind you, it does have heated mirrors :)

TBH, I doubt, even if I had thought 'safety' when buying that I'd have checked things such as door lights and hazard switch position - instead be swayed by things like the multitude of airbags, ABS, TCS* etc. And, although I knew that the A pillars are wide, it was only several months of driving - and a couple of frights - that really showed up how there is a need to adjust 'style' to the car.

FWIW, 'my' car is an '02 Astra diesel, bought because it was cheap (£1k), and the only concern for 'safety' was that it's safer (probably) than doing the equivalent mileage on a motorcycle (C. 20k m-way miles p.a)! No ABS/TCS, no heated mirrors, only a couple of airbags, no adjustable intermittent wipe . . . - but 60+ mpg :)

* What the Filly calls the 'skiddy button', on the occasion or two it's lit up during the poor weather early this year . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum