BMW 530d

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:59 pm

The Volvo thread got me wondering as I've been looking to upgrade from the Mondeo again recently and stumbled across the Parkers review of the last shape (E39) BMW 530d (193bhp model). A quick look on Autotrader showed I could get a 2001/2002 one in budget, so I thought I'd open it up to the members on here and see what opinions people had of them to drive/own, before I set about tracking one down.

Also open to any other suggestions. Budget is 8-10k, will probably be looking at estates as it'll need to be a capable load lugger, and it has to be diesel because it's going to be doing 20-25k a year :D More toys, power and fun to drive the better :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:33 pm

The 530d is a nice car..

It's takes some time getting up to a speed..but once there..is fine...

Don't get me wrong, it's not slow by any means...

Now if you can spend more..the 535d is an awsome vehicle..twice the vehicle the 530d is ....

I might have mentioned it before...

Have a look at;

www.taillights.net

He occasionally gets some BMWs in...(amongst the fleet of Audis)
Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:59 pm

Ah the 535d does indeed look good but I think that's only available in the E60 (current shape) and the cheapest one I could find was 31 grand :lol: What's the going rate for kidney's these days? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:35 pm

Yeah, sorry...I forgot they were new..

I take it for granted at times, the ability to drive nice cars in the course of my work...

I dont think you'll be sorry with a 530d though....

I had a 'client' who had one..and even though it was tiptronic..it was a really nice all round motor...
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Safety1st wrote:I might have mentioned it before...

Have a look at;

www.taillights.net

Nooo, I don't think so. I'm sure that's a new one on me! :roll:

Best wishes all - including my much tormented friend. :wink:
Dave.
TripleS

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:25 pm

530d is a fine car.
Very well sorted with good progressive handling
Eats the miles with consumate ease, pretty good economy as well.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Nigel » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:08 am

You can get some good beemer advice here : http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/default.asp

For £4 - 6,000 you can get a fully loaded E39 540I, or even 728,730,735 etc, and I mean fully loaded, sat nav, tv, dvd etc.

Why would you want an oil burner ?

I don't actually like the E39, if the krauts couldn't be bothered to turn the windscreen wipers around to suit RHD, then I can't be bothered to buy one.
Nigel

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:03 am

Thanks for the link Nigel. As mentioned above, I need an oil burner as I'm doing 20-25k a year and much as I'd love a nice straight 6 or V8, my wallet is screaming at me not to bankrupt myself (again!) with a car that does mpg in the 20's. After saying that though, with a car for 4-6k, I'd have a little bit spare for fuel for a year or two! :D Sounds like I need to revisit the figures! :lol:

My ultimate plan is to run an oil burner as my main commuting car and then buy something a bit special for the weekends, but that's a few years off.... :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Nigel » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:51 am

I'll say it on here, in case you miss it for whatever reason on the beemer forum.........whatch out for the "nikisil" issue.

This doesn't just apply to beemers, all alloy engines, roughly around 96 - 99 that used nikisil instead of cast iron liners on the bores can suffer, jag & merc are two others I know of, and ford must be involved somewhere ( volvo perhaps), as they were the ones that identified why all these engines were wearing out so quickly.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:20 pm

vonhosen wrote:530d is a fine car.
Very well sorted with good progressive handling
Eats the miles with consummate ease, pretty good economy as well.

Unless you need such a large car, do not overlook the 330d or even the 2nd. Have used both and they "tick the boxes." :D

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Return to General Car Chat Forum