Slowing Down Other Vehicles

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby lyndon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:41 pm

On a recent trip to New Zealand, I was driving downhill, around a bend on a road that was a bit slippery. A car had overturned on the bend. A short time later, a driver offered to pull the car back on to its wheels. He did this by positioning his vehicle at right angles to oncoming traffic, in the middle of the road, and attaching a cable to the car from a winch on the front of his vehicle. At this point I thought it might be a good idea to go up the hill and try to warn other drivers about the obstruction.

Although it was a fairly busy main road, it was a long way from civilisation, and I was viewed with suspicion. Nobody took any notice of me, whatever gestures I tried to use to warn them of the danger ahead. I suppose they just thought I was trying to stop them to ask for a lift. In desperation, I resorted to a bit of sign language. With my left hand open, I struck the palm of my left hand with my right fist, then pointed down the road: 'There has been a crash down there'. It worked. But I can't help feeling there should have been an easier way.

How would you slow down traffic under these circumstances?
lyndon

Postby Daaave » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 pm

Bit difficult really, especially in foriegn countries as you may not be aware of cultural differences. Attempted sign language may lead you into trouble if someone misinterprets what you're trying to say. But as you did, I still would have attempted something. I probably would have tried the 'slow down' sign - both hands out, palms down waving in a pronounced up and down motion.
Daaave

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:08 pm

lyndon wrote:On a recent trip to New Zealand, I was driving downhill, around a bend on a road that was a bit slippery. A car had overturned on the bend. A short time later, a driver offered to pull the car back on to its wheels. He did this by positioning his vehicle at right angles to oncoming traffic, in the middle of the road, and attaching a cable to the car from a winch on the front of his vehicle. At this point I thought it might be a good idea to go up the hill and try to warn other drivers about the obstruction.

Although it was a fairly busy main road, it was a long way from civilisation, and I was viewed with suspicion. Nobody took any notice of me, whatever gestures I tried to use to warn them of the danger ahead. I suppose they just thought I was trying to stop them to ask for a lift. In desperation, I resorted to a bit of sign language. With my left hand open, I struck the palm of my left hand with my right fist, then pointed down the road: 'There has been a crash down there'. It worked. But I can't help feeling there should have been an easier way.

How would you slow down traffic under these circumstances?

Putting your own car at 45 degrees blocking the road usually seems to work!
zadocbrown

Postby Porker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:09 pm

lyndon wrote:With my left hand open, I struck the palm of my left hand with my right fist, then pointed down the road.

Good job no-one thought you were inviting them to fight you in the next layby :twisted:

In my experience, nothing slows drivers down like a nice fluorescent green jacket, and I would suggest that everyone keeps at least a couple in their car(s).

regards
P.
Porker

Postby 7db » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:27 pm

You could place the warning triangle in the road, assuming you have one.
7db

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 pm

On a family holiday in France when I was a child, we came across a collision and the officer of the Police Nationale on scene made a signal with his hand open, fingers together, wrist towards the ground and fingertips lifted, pushing downwards. My father (driving) immediately understood that to mean he should slow down, and I have assumed since then that that was the internationally recognised signal to do so. I've used it myself quite a bit!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby lyndon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:34 am

kfae8959 wrote:On a family holiday in France when I was a child, we came across a collision and the officer of the Police Nationale on scene made a signal with his hand open, fingers together, wrist towards the ground and fingertips lifted, pushing downwards. My father (driving) immediately understood that to mean he should slow down, and I have assumed since then that that was the internationally recognised signal to do so. I've used it myself quite a bit!

David

I tried that sort of gesture, but it had no effect. I assumed that people were suspicious about why I wanted them to slow down. Hence my decision to try to use a gesture that explained there was a problem ahead, and I wasn't just after a lift, or intent on robbing them.
lyndon

Postby lyndon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:37 am

7db wrote:You could place the warning triangle in the road, assuming you have one.

The hire company hadn't provided one. On reflection, I suppose I could have asked around among the others who had stopped to help.
lyndon

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 am

Porker wrote: In my experience, nothing slows drivers down like a nice fluorescent green jacket, and I would suggest that everyone keeps at least a couple in their car(s).

To quote Dr Martin Langham, of Sussex Uni:

"It's a uniform, silly, not a forcefield"

However . . .

A few weeks ago I passed a car parked, with hazards on, at the side of a dual carriageway, just around a right hand bend, but hidden from approaching traffic by trees in the central reserve. Driver stood by his car, making a call on his mobile.

It was only as I passed that I saw the car in the ditch, mid-bushes, adjacent to the parked car!

I continued on to the next opportunity to turn, and came back around, but could see as I passed that the driver - although still in the car - was conscious.

So decided the best option was to stop prior to the corner and warn oncoming traffic.

Parked on the grass, hazards on, and stood at the back waving drivers to the right hand lane.

Most got the idea that people don't stand waving for no reason. One car moved across, went past, then moved back to the left lane. Oh well, he'd have realised when he got around the corner . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Red Herring » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:06 am

Horse wrote:[
Most got the idea that people don't stand waving for no reason. One car moved across, went past, then moved back to the left lane. Oh well, he'd have realised when he got around the corner . . .

Unless of course he was so busy looking in his mirror at "this idiot stood in the road waving at people" that he wasn't looking where he was going... :D

First ask yourself if the obstruction is so bad that drivers will have to stop or cross lanes to avoid it. If not then don't put you car before it, put it after it and out of the way. If it does completely block the road put your vehicle, with the hazards on, a short distance before the obstruction (far enough away to give room to react, but close enough so drivers passing your vehicle can see the obstruction) but in such a position that drivers can easily drive past without crossing lanes etc. Then, hopefully wearing something high vis, stand 50m before your vehicle (or the obstruction) and use a pushing gesture with both hands to indicate to drivers to move over. If you use an up and down motion drivers tend to think you want them to stop....and that can cause it's own problems!
Red Herring

Postby jcochrane » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 am

On one fatal accident I came across I stopped before the scene with hazards on but left dipped headlights on to light up the area.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Red Herring wrote:
Horse wrote:[

Unless of course he was so busy looking in his mirror at "this idiot stood in the road waving at people" that he wasn't looking where he was going... :D

I just hope he wasn't looking in his mirrors for too long ;)

Red Herring wrote: First ask yourself if the obstruction is so bad that drivers will have to stop or cross lanes to avoid it. If not then don't put you car before it, put it after it and out of the way. If it does completely block the road put your vehicle, with the hazards on, a short distance before the obstruction (far enough away to give room to react, but close enough so drivers passing your vehicle can see the obstruction) but in such a position that drivers can easily drive past without crossing lanes etc. Then, hopefully wearing something high vis, stand 50m before your vehicle (or the obstruction) and use a pushing gesture with both hands to indicate to drivers to move over. If you use an up and down motion drivers tend to think you want them to stop....and that can cause it's own problems!

Good summary to remember :)

Red Herring wrote: First ask yourself if the obstruction is so bad that drivers will have to stop or cross lanes to avoid it. If not then don't put you car before it,

I compromised by putting my car on the verge :)

Red Herring wrote: (far enough away to give room to react, but close enough so drivers passing your vehicle can see the obstruction)

Again, a compromise determined by a good view (for oncoming drivers, of me) prior to an obscured view of the incident.

Red Herring wrote: use a pushing gesture with both hands to indicate to drivers to move over.

I was very Hawaiian . . . ;D
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum