Xtras on breakdown cover

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi

Ive spent a long time looking at all the offers/options available for breakdown cover and I feel I should have it now that I have a job where I will be driving home late at night. Is it necessary to have the whole lot or is roadside assistance good enough. Im tempted mainly by the AA, probably coz thats the one ive heard most about. :) The other thing they offer, is breakdown repair insurance...so for an extra £69 per year you are covered for parts labour up to £500 should your car breakdown. Has anyone on here got this :?: or do you think its good idea :?: its one of those things that sound too good to be true :mrgreen:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby jont » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 pm

It's definitely worth having recovery, rather that just roadside assistance. Roadside assistance will at best tow you to a local garage - which if it's late at night or a long way from home isn't much use. When you need to be recovered 200 miles at 3am on a Sunday morning, recovery is very comforting.

A lot of people on another forum I'm on use theAA breakdown insurance scheme. I think there's a £50 excess on any claim, but after that as you say upto £500 is covered (so with the excess you get £450 back). However to claim, you have to break down. It sounds obvious, but it means for instance if you notice a fault gradually developing, you can only claim when it gets bad enough to make the car undriveable. This may cause more damage in the process, and could be rather mechanically unsympathetic. Additionally with this it may be worth having home start, otherwise the car has to be away from the house to claim. (Let's say your alternator fails. You manage to limp the car home rather than wait for recovery in a bad location/time of day. If you had home start, you could claim the alternator light was on when you started the car at a convenient time and wait for them to come out).

My personal experience of recovery companies (don't ask!) is that Britannia are good (for instance if you tell them the car is undriveable and you need a flat bed, they'll believe you rather than insisting on sending a van first to meet their response times), while RAC have kept me waiting a long time (van took an hour, decided he couldn't fix it. Took another 5 hours for a flatbed to appear :x )
jont

Postby ROG » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:17 pm

IAM SURETY for insurance and the AA basic cover seems to do me
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:23 pm

IAM Surety + RAC 'full monty' (or whatever it's called) for me and my wife - 'personal recovery' is good for us as we have 3 cars between us so whatever we are driving we are covered. The altenative is to cover the named car for breakdown which is fine if 2 drivers share a car.

Had to use RAC twice - one included recovery 150+ miles - service was prompt and courteous what can I say?

Get discount from RAC / AA is you're an IAM member (but then there seem to be lots of discounts available if you ask).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MrToad » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 pm

I'd recommend AutoAid - £37 for all the cover you'll need.

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Angus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 am

RAC - It's "free" with Tesco vouchers :D

And when I've needed them, they've been very efficient.
Angus

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:52 pm

I gave up on the AA and RAC after having bad experiences with them and moved to Green Flag courtesy of Tesco Breakdown insurance (full works £80 package compared to 100's from AA or RAC). Fortunately for me, Skoda supplied me with a car that allowed me to put Green Flag through their paces several times and each time they turned up within the 40 minutes they said they would and either patched it so I could drive to a garage or stuck it on their flatbed and drove it to the local main dealer for me.

I've now moved to breakdown cover with my car insurance (I forget who supplies it, but I know it's not AA, RAC or Green Flag :lol: ) as it was significantly cheaper and the cover seemed much better :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanx everyone for your advice. Ive decided to go with the AA and have the 'all singing and dancing' package that covers everything :lol: :lol: that way should I get stuck anywhere I should be sorted!! Ive also gone for the breakdown repair cover, maybe worthwhile, we will see.

Wish I had realised about the Tesco vouchers for RAC as I have loads of em and never know what to do with em :lol: :lol:

Thanx again x
x-Sonia-x

Postby martine » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Wish I had realised about the Tesco vouchers for RAC as I have loads of em and never know what to do with em :lol: :lol:

If you're stuck spend them on:

http://www.everymanracing.co.uk/product_page.php?id=32

Not worth £799 but they take Tesco vouchers and it's a hoot.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:30 pm

martine wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:Wish I had realised about the Tesco vouchers for RAC as I have loads of em and never know what to do with em :lol: :lol:

If you're stuck spend them on:

http://www.everymanracing.co.uk/product_page.php?id=32

Not worth £799 but they take Tesco vouchers and it's a hoot.

How tempting is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you done it????? :D I am such a chicken in my car, let alone being 'allowed' to drive a car like that!!......BUT I now want to :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Return to General Car Chat Forum