Age to become an ADI. 21?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby theyoungen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:40 am

Well, I'm confused! I had always assumed that the minimum age to become an ADI would be 21, as this is the age one must be before they can accompany a learner.

However, what is to stop one becoming an ADI, as long as they don't teach learners? I have searched the DSA website and couldn't find anything. I have read The Motor Cars (Driving Instruction) Regulations 1989 in their entirity and cannot find an answer.

I did find one ADI training website which stated that one must have held their license for at least 4 years (hence, 21 would be the minimum), but there's nothing to suggest that this is government policy.

I'd be willing to bet that it says in the ADI Starter Pack which the DSA sells for £5!

"What's the point?!" I hear you cry! Well, in short, when I'm 'observing' for Advanced Driving perposes, I think it would present a better image if I was able to refer to myself as a driving INSTRUCTOR. Also it would save time when I become 21!!

If anyone knows, or is in the same boat, perhaps they could post..?
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby vonhosen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:20 am

One of the conditions to be on the register, is that you have to have held a full British or Northern Ireland Driving licence, and have held such a licence or a valid foreign driving licence for at least 4 of the last 6 years.
(From Sec 125(3) Roaad Traffic Act 1988)

And to be able to call yourself an ADI you must be on the register.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby theyoungen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:06 pm

Oh drat! Never mind..!
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

theyoungen

Postby Still learning » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:03 pm

theyoungen wrote:Oh drat! Never mind..!

But....... to be on the register you need to be fully qualified. There is therefore nothing to stop you training to become an ADI when younger or having held your licence for less than four years. Bearing in mind you have 2 years from the date you pass your Pt1 theory test to actually pass the Pt3 and even once you pass the Pt3 you then have up to 12 months to actually register with the DSA as an ADI! Wonder what others thoughts are on this one, but if you want to chat by all means PM me. Cheers Brian
Remembering that as a driver or instructor, no matter how much you know or think you know, there is always more to learn!
Still learning

Postby vonhosen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:29 pm

I know that under Sec 129 RTA 1988 you can't get a licence to gain practical experience without satisfying the same criteria as for Sec 125.

I'm not sure if the registrar will include the same qualifying criteria for entry onto the PDI register, in which case you wouldn't be able to do Pt1 even.
vonhosen

Postby theyoungen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:58 pm

That had occured to me - not the specifics of the act of course, just the problem of not being able to practice on learners.

But there wouldn't be anything to stop me practicing with a qualified driver would there? ...in the same way that we do for Advanced Tutor training, or indeed the way the Pt 3 test is conducted.
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

theyoungen

Postby vonhosen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:04 pm

theyoungen wrote:That had occured to me - not the specifics of the act of course, just the problem of not being able to practice on learners.

But there wouldn't be anything to stop me practicing with a qualified driver would there? ...in the same way that we do for Advanced Tutor training, or indeed the way the Pt 3 test is conducted.

I can't see (or think) of any reason that would prevent you doing that.
Make sure you pick someone who is good at what they do though, or you may just pick up bad habits.
vonhosen

Postby theyoungen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:15 pm

I know a couple of Grade 6 ADIs. I might try and enlist both of them in case they have different styles.

I'll also give the DSA a ring at some point - I'm sure even if it's all above board and legal there'll be some bureaucratic reason why they won't let me!!
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

theyoungen

Postby Still learning » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:53 pm

theyoungen wrote:I know a couple of Grade 6 ADIs. I might try and enlist both of them in case they have different styles.

I'll also give the DSA a ring at some point - I'm sure even if it's all above board and legal there'll be some bureaucratic reason why they won't let me!!

Hi, my understanding from registering as a trainee instructor to start your training is you can apply to start having held ur D/L for 3 1/2yrs but this is not written or cast in stone, it's just they accept it may take you 6 months to qualify. As long as you make it clear you understand that you cannot go on the register as a qualified ADI until you have held your D/L for 4 yrs but are prepared to spread out your training until this time has elapsed BUT then further explain that you are not paying silly money as a lump sum to a training establishment for training you should not have a problem.
cheers, Brian
Remembering that as a driver or instructor, no matter how much you know or think you know, there is always more to learn!
Still learning

Postby vonhosen » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Still learning wrote:
theyoungen wrote:I know a couple of Grade 6 ADIs. I might try and enlist both of them in case they have different styles.

Hi, my understanding from registering as a trainee instructor to start your training is you can apply to start having held ur D/L for 3 1/2yrs but this is not written or cast in stone, it's just they accept it may take you 6 months to qualify. As long as you make it clear you understand that you cannot go on the register as a qualified ADI until you have held your D/L for 4 yrs but are prepared to spread out your training until this time has elapsed BUT then further explain that you are not paying silly money as a lump sum to a training establishment for training you should not have a problem.
cheers, Brian

You have to have held your licence for 4 years in the last 6 to get your ADI trainee licence. It's written as a requirement in Sec 129(2) of The Road Traffic Act 1988.
vonhosen

Postby Still learning » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:37 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Still learning wrote:

cheers, Brian

You have to have held your licence for 4 years in the last 6 to get your ADI trainee licence. It's written as a requirement in Sec 129(2) of The Road Traffic Act 1988.

Sorry it may be my use of the word trainee........... to get either your full or trainee badge you need licence for 4 years. To start training to become a driving instructor i.e. to train/study & sit the Pt's 1, 2 or 3 - there is no such legal requirement. Cheers Brian
Still learning

Postby kevdyas » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:39 pm

Hello

I spoke to the ADI Branch at the Driving Standards Agency on Friday regarding this very subject because I want to qualify as a driving instructor.

In July I will have held a Category 'B' driving licence for 3 years and in August I will be 21 therefore I satisfy the legal requirement to supervise a learner driver BUT I won't be able to register as an ADI until the following July.

However, I will be able to begin the qualification process after holding a licence for 3 and a half years, I will be able to take the Part 1 exam, Part 2 and Part 3 BUT I won't be able to 'register' for a trainee licence nor register as an Approved Driving Instructor until I have held the licence for 4 years even if I had passed Part 3.

Kev.
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby Still learning » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:50 pm

kevdyas wrote:Hello

I spoke to the ADI Branch at the Driving Standards Agency on Friday regarding this very subject because I want to qualify as a driving instructor.

In July I will have held a Category 'B' driving licence for 3 years and in August I will be 21 therefore I satisfy the legal requirement to supervise a learner driver BUT I won't be able to register as an ADI until the following July.

However, I will be able to begin the qualification process after holding a licence for 3 and a half years, I will be able to take the Part 1 exam, Part 2 and Part 3 BUT I won't be able to 'register' for a trainee licence nor register as an Approved Driving Instructor until I have held the licence for 4 years even if I had passed Part 3.

Kev.

Hi Kev,

Not sure who you spoke to but I queried this very thing last year and was told there is nothing in black and white i.e. no legal requirement to have held your driving licence for 3 1/2 years to begin qualification process, but it was merely a guideline that had been adopted. That means you could start the process earlier if you asked and told them clearly you understood you couldn't actually register until licence held for 4 years. Each case will be looked at on its own merits and I'm certain with your experience and qualifications so far they would be hard pushed to not let you start working towards your training. If you want someone to ask on your behalf let me know.
Still learning

Postby kevdyas » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:48 pm

Still learning wrote:Hi Kev,

Not sure who you spoke to but I queried this very thing last year and was told there is nothing in black and white i.e. no legal requirement to have held your driving licence for 3 1/2 years to begin qualification process, but it was merely a guideline that had been adopted. That means you could start the process earlier if you asked and told them clearly you understood you couldn't actually register until licence held for 4 years. Each case will be looked at on its own merits and I'm certain with your experience and qualifications so far they would be hard pushed to not let you start working towards your training. If you want someone to ask on your behalf let me know.

Before telephoning I did have a look through the 'Driving Instructors Handbook' out of curiousity and thought I would phone the DSA for clarification.
Under "Qualifications for Registration" in the Driving Instructors Handbook it says
To become an ADI you must:
    Hold a full British or Northern Ireland unrestricted car driving licence;
    Have held it for a total of four out of the past six years prior to entering the Register after qualifying (a foreign driving licence, an automatic car driving licence or a provisional licence held after passing the driving test all count towards the four years);
    Not have been disqualified from driving at anytime in the four years prior to being entered in the Register;
    Be a fit and proper person to have your name entered in the Register;
    Pass the Register qualifying exam;
    Apply for registration within twelve months of passing Part 3.

Therefore it seems you could do it at anytime as long as you don't enter the register, it was the DSA who put the three and a half years thing into my head.

If someone is willing to ask the question on my behalf that would be great.

Kev.
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Return to General Car Chat Forum