Solid white edge lines on left of carriageway

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby michael769 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 am

TripleS wrote:Eh? We need a gap in the white line to allow water to drain away?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Modern edge lines are often ribbed or raised. The purpose of this is to cause an increase in tyre noise when a vehicle wanders over them thus waking sleepy truckers(and others) up and keeping them on the road.

The raised profile creates a dam that can cause the depth of surface water on the road to increase; providing a gap helps to reduce spray and prevent aquaplaning. It is surprisingly effective. On such roads you can (in very wet weather) actually see the surface water forming mini rivers as the water drains through the gaps. It's all covered in the chapter of the Traffic Signs manual I posted earlier.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:10 pm

michael769 wrote:
TripleS wrote:Eh? We need a gap in the white line to allow water to drain away?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Modern edge lines are often ribbed or raised. The purpose of this is to cause an increase in tyre noise when a vehicle wanders over them thus waking sleepy truckers(and others) up and keeping them on the road.

The raised profile creates a dam that can cause the depth of surface water on the road to increase; providing a gap helps to reduce spray and prevent aquaplaning. It is surprisingly effective. On such roads you can (in very wet weather) actually see the surface water forming mini rivers as the water drains through the gaps. It's all covered in the chapter of the Traffic Signs manual I posted earlier.

Right, thank you. I appreciate that white lines do not always consist of merely a paint film, but the ribbed version usually looks like a line of tiles with gaps (ungrouted!) so if these are the gaps you are referring to it makes sense. Certainly the noise created when you put a tyre onto them is a useful reminder to take more care with the steering, I can see the merit of that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 pm

ROG wrote:Still no reference to the legality of any, if any, restrictions.......

ScoobyChris wrote:If there was a legal position, it would be in there - them's the rules and regulations ;)

Chris

cheers mate - learnt something new :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum