Wet headlight??

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Just a small query, but one thats annoying. When i first got my car one of the headlights was full of condensation. The garage said it was because it had been standing for few months. Well when i got it home i realised the sidelight bulb had gone. I changed this...myself :wink: 8) !! and the problem seemed to of disappeared. However over the last few days, ive noticed its completely covered in condensation again :mrgreen: Any ideas as to what is causing it? There are no visble cracks and nothing that I can actually see to be causing it.
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 pm

I've a feeling this is because the air inside your light has moisture in it, and when the ambient temperature is lower it can't hold the same volume of moisture, therefore it has to come out as condensation, typically on the coldest area - the glass.

Many cars with a 'protective glass' element seem to do this, look at BMW E36 3 series (the first ones with the rectangular glass over the round glass bits). I think there are some with 'projector' type headlamps that do this too, the thing is the protective glass and the projector glass need to have air sealed between them, which is why older 'normal' lights don't do it as they aren't sealed so the water has alternative escape routes....

Having said all that it's a guess, so could be wrong :-)
Octy_Ross

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanx x

Is there anything I could do or should do to rectify this?
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I have a similar problem with the O/S headlight on my Ibiza. I tried to dry it using a hairdryer on Sunday, but I could not aim it at the lens due to lack of space. So being a sunny breezy day, I thought that if I left the bulb out with the bonnet up for a couple of hours, it might dry out. It did dry about 50 per cent, and yesterday morning it was not as bad as prevously. Today has been a dull drizzly day and I've had headlights on all day. The condensation appeared to have cleared this evening when I came in, but with falling temperatures, ( it's starting to snow ), I think it will be wet again in the morning. :(
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Porker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 pm

It might be a poor seal between the lens and the body, or water/moisture could have crept in through another hole (eg the missing sidelight, assuming the bulb holder wasn't inserted into the headlamp body.

The easiest way of drying it out is to carefully remove the main bulb holder (taking care not to touch the glass of the bulb or letting it touch anything that could get dirt on it - rest it on a piece of clean tissue paper if necessary) and then direct a hairdryer at the hole that the bulbholder was in for a few minutes - until the moisture/condensation has gone. It may help to warm the glass of the headlamp assembly with the hairdryer too.

Replace the bulbholder and all should be well. This of course assumes that the headlamp is basically watertight and that the moisture got in through the bulbholder apertures.

P.
Porker

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Agree with what Nick says. On top of that, have a good look round the periphery of the lens. Typically the lens is bonded onto the reflector with a flexible silicone seal. Look closely at this and see if any area looks dirtier than the rest, or has a green tinge (lichen or algae grows on the silicone). If you do see this, the seal probably has a leak. You can apply a little more silicone (transparent bathroom silicone will do) after a good clean, and that should fix the issue.

Well done for taking an interest in your car and actually changing bulbs - the number of motorists who actually bother to do this these days is tiny.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:05 am

Thanx guys, I will have a go with the hairdryer and have a proper look at it, probably not til weekend as i have a busy few days :twisted:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Well done for taking an interest in your car and actually changing bulbs - the number of motorists who actually bother to do this these days is tiny.

When I...eventually ....passed me test :lol: :lol: I made meself a promise that I would try me hardest to do as much as I could meself and to learn what goes on under the bonnet!! Although I have changed a lightbulb, theres not alot else I know.... yet :oops: :lol:.... except that my car has to be the cleanest and shiniest on the planet :D :D

fungus wrote: with falling temperatures, ( it's starting to snow ),

....now doesnt that make you feel all christmassy :D :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby Octy_Ross » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:13 am

Is using the hair dryer going to fix it long term?

By putting warm, wet (the hair dryer won't dry the air) into the light unit, as soon as the air cools, the moisture will condense out and you'll be back where you started.

If the lights are projector type - not sure about citroens, then there's nothing you can do, it's the moisture in the air in the sealed unit between the front of the projector and the back of the protective lens condensing.
Octy_Ross

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 am

It is only one of the headlights that is covered in moisture. Having had a quick look at this morning, there is nothing there that is visibly noticeable. No green marks or anything. But I will have another proper look at weekend. I do understand that by drying it with hairdryer doesnt solve it, and to be honest this weather I dont fancy doing that everyday :lol: . It does worry me that I will be driving home tonight, well early hours of tomoz morning....and my job has moved (if you need the out of hours Dr in Essex, you will have to go to Sainsburys to see him!!!! - they have built a clinic in the Sainsburys car park, out of town :twisted: ), its about 7 miles away, and with the weather as it is I want my lights to be working properly :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 am

chriskay wrote:Hi, Sonia; another problem with that wretched car of yours! Any progress with the dealer?

Hi, yep another problem to add to list!!! I have long list of minor things....but all of which are very annoying coz I cant get them sorted!! The CD player doesnt work either....small problem maybe, but one that annoys me :lol: :lol: !! The dealer hasnt made any contact with me whatsoever, the 14 days were up on Sunday...so I guess next step is court action :twisted:
x-Sonia-x

Return to General Car Chat Forum