ANPR question

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Can ANPR read a number plate that has been turned 90 degrees ? - see this on the rear of some trucks where it is not posible to put the plate in the normal horizontal position.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Rog,
The equipment we have is absoloutely c**p and it takes it all its time to read it normally,but in all honesty it will read it but what turns out like is anyones guess.

We are supposed to be getting some new kit next year and it is supposed to be the dogs bol***ks so we will just have to wait and see.

In answer to your question I dont think it can read numbers or letters unless they are exactly the correct way up,I will stand corrected if any one else knows different.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 pm

ROG wrote:Can ANPR read a number plate that has been turned 90 degrees ? - see this on the rear of some trucks where it is not posible to put the plate in the normal horizontal position.

I've no idea, and in fact I don't recall seeing a number plate orientated in the way you describe. Having said that, if it would enable me to get away with a bit of speeding (in NSL areas only) where I might otherwise get caught, i'm quite interested in the idea.

Having said that, I imagine it would be a bit tricky finding a way of re-positioning the plates on a 406 in a way that would look OK - and defeat the camera mob. :D

Clarification: If ANPR is being used to catch drivers with no driving licence, no valid tax disc, no insurance, no MOT; or people engaged in serious criminal activity, that's OK. If it is getting extended to catch speeders it is not OK, and measures to circumvent that are quite legitimate, as far as I'm concerned.

Standard footnote: Speeding should not be a punishable offence.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby SeanP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:31 am

What about 180 degrees? I saw some thing about a 'fad' in Spain doing so- was not 'illegal' (correct font, correct spacing, just placed upside down, and defeated most automated systems)...
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby christopherwk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 am

I also heard somewhere ANPR can't read numberplates if the numbers/letters are on two lines i.e. on motorbikes?
christopherwk

Postby ROG » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 am

Does anyone have a definitive on this -

Can ANPR read number plates that have been turned 90 degrees ?

Thanks
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 am

If the software can't it soon will; it's only very simple pattern matching, and automatically rotating an image 3 times to try to get a match isn't particularly difficult.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Gareth wrote:If the software can't it soon will; it's only very simple pattern matching, and automatically rotating an image 3 times to try to get a match isn't particularly difficult.

Oh that's good, and the sooner the better. We really must crack down on these people wot can't be trusted to respect reasonably applied speed limits.

Hello, Martin, and many thanks for your kind message t'other day. I hope you are well and that you and your family will have a nice Christmas and a safe and happy 2010 - and that goes for all the rest of the ADUK membership too; oh, and even those hooligans on PistonHeads. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Red Herring » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:59 pm

To answer the original post, yes it technically can but in an operational environment it will struggle for several reasons.... (and I'm sorry but I'm keeping them to myself). With regard to the query about two lines, absolutely no problem at all, they do that all the time. Motorbikes, a lot of 4x4 vehicles and vans/lorries have plates on two lines so no issues there.

As for the legality of turning a plate on end, or upside down, I might have to dig out the books to give a precise quote but I'm fairly sure there is something in the legislation about them being positioned in a clearly readable position, and I suspect that could be interpreted to include orientation as well as where it is on the vehicle. If TripleS is really that concerned about being zapped for speeding on an average speed camera he can consider putting the front number plate on his dash. That's the most common dodge, especially in the South East where drivers want to defeat the congestion charging cameras. It's sufficiently hidden to beat the cameras but near enough to being displayed that the average copper will fall for the "sorry it fell off this morning" excuse. Of course, you will get pulled up loads of times, and if you want to remain credible it might be an idea if the plate isn't buried under last weeks newspaper or nice and clean given all the salt on the road at the moment....
Red Herring

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:49 am

Red Herring wrote:To answer the original post, yes it technically can but in an operational environment it will struggle for several reasons.... (and I'm sorry but I'm keeping them to myself). ....

Well that's just selfish! Didn't your parents teach you to share? :D

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:05 am

Red Herring wrote:If TripleS is really that concerned about being zapped for speeding on an average speed camera he can consider putting the front number plate on his dash. That's the most common dodge, especially in the South East where drivers want to defeat the congestion charging cameras. It's sufficiently hidden to beat the cameras but near enough to being displayed that the average copper will fall for the "sorry it fell off this morning" excuse. Of course, you will get pulled up loads of times, and if you want to remain credible it might be an idea if the plate isn't buried under last weeks newspaper or nice and clean given all the salt on the road at the moment....

I'm not really that concerned about normal speed cameras, but there is of course some risk....

Anyhow, nice to see you back, RH.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Red Herring » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:37 pm

adiNigel wrote:
Red Herring wrote:To answer the original post, yes it technically can but in an operational environment it will struggle for several reasons.... (and I'm sorry but I'm keeping them to myself). ....

Well that's just selfish! Didn't your parents teach you to share? :D

Nigel

Yeah, but they don't pay my wages.... :D
Red Herring

Return to General Car Chat Forum