I'm tempted to go to this...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:48 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Immediate release, 8 January 09

International congress on speed, London, May 2010

Registration is now open for the third international congress on tackling speed, taking place in central London on 13 May 2010 – book now to secure your place at this very popular event on the most important road safety topic.

This widely-acclaimed, biennial congress at the Royal College of Surgeons brings together world experts from academia and practitioners to discuss -

• Latest research into effectiveness of speed management measures, including ISA
• International policies to reduce speed limits
• Successful road engineering measures to control speed and protect communities
• Speed enforcement developments
• Best practice speed-awareness education
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...and be a right pain in the arse at the back...bit like the 'Not the Nine o'clock News sketch - Rowen Atkinson: "this is all a load of crap..." etc.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 pm

All seems a bit of a foregone conclusion from their agenda about what they think is needed. :cry:

I thought the best way to tackle speed was right foot to the floor. Ho hum.
jont

Postby Porker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:09 pm

I'd force them all to walk all the way to the event from their homes. That would teach them a thing or two about speed and its benefits.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 am

I started to think along the lines of 'I'll join you' Martin, then I checked the price!
Just £136 for Brake subscribers, £176 for non-subscribers
so I don't think I'll bother. Though these prices are cheap for such a conference.

Have just looked at the list of speakers and most look fairly well qualified for what they are going to talk about. Except 1...
Chris Grundy (or colleagues), London School of Tropical Medicine
20 works

The effectiveness of reducing 30mph zones to 20mph zones in London at reducing collisions.

How does working at the London School of Tropical Medicine qualify someone to talk about the effectiveness of reducing 30 to 20 mph zones?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 am

adiNigel wrote:I started to think along the lines of 'I'll join you' Martin, then I checked the price!
so I don't think I'll bother. Though these prices are cheap for such a conference.

Have just looked at the list of speakers and most look fairly well qualified for what they are going to talk about. Except 1...
Chris Grundy (or colleagues), London School of Tropical Medicine
20 works

The effectiveness of reducing 30mph zones to 20mph zones in London at reducing collisions.

How does working at the London School of Tropical Medicine qualify someone to talk about the effectiveness of reducing 30 to 20 mph zones?

Nigel

The only qualification needed is the ability to support the 'speed kills' or suchlike message. Official thinking really does seem to be solely along those lines.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Darren » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 am

I may consider going to this, it would be good to ask a few pertinent questions to people in Brake to get an overall picture on their view of the damage they are doing to the UK motoring population be proliferating the blanket view of simply reducing speed limits and sticking to those limits makes our roads safer.
Darren

Postby fungus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Oh come on you load of Petrol Heads. You've forgotton that BRAKE is consulted by the government on matters relating to motoring. :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 pm

adiNigel wrote:I started to think along the lines of 'I'll join you' Martin, then I checked the price!

Those prices certainly tell you who is controlling the agenda. No wonder it's such a foregone conclusion.
jont

Postby Angus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I assume the the majority of attendees are those who have a vested interest in reducing speed limits - ie public bodies and local authorities.

So it's the likes of you and me who are taxpayers who are funding this conference.

What was the American Independance slogan? Something like "No taxation without representation"
Angus

Return to General Car Chat Forum