Dorset getting rid of fixed speed cameras.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:24 pm

It was reported in the local Daily Echo that fixed speed cameras are to be phased out and replaced with SPECS cameras in Dorset. Dorset Police's Assistant Chief Constable, said the fixed cameras had "done their job" but it was now time to move on to new technology to help further reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads.

He said: "We are not going to sack all of them but move away from them to 'time over distance' cameras, and carry on with mobile cameras at sites where the public have asked us to deal with reports of speeding motorists."

The Dorset Safety Camera Partnership, which is part of the Dorset Road Safety Strategic Partnership, will disband, but the agencies and organisations will continue to work towards keeping the roads safer by rolling out SPECS continuing with mobile enforcement and officer patrols, as well as educating drivers about the dangers of speeding through the use of the Driver Awareness Scheme.

Whilst some might rejoice at the thought of fixed speed cameras disapearing, I think it will cause more speedo watching and even less attention to the road. They don't even see the mobile camera vans when they are parked in a visible location. :roll: I've lost count of the the number of times I have seen drivers pass me on the 50mph DC going into Poole, and then hit the brakes as they see the camera van too late.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Where do they intend to deploy these SPECS systems?

I wouldn't be too bothered if they use them across sections of built-up areas.

If they use them in NSL areas, how will they determine the trigger speeds for them? That may seem fairly easy on sections of dual carriageway or motorway, but on most single carriageway NSL roads I don't see how they will achieve anything useful at all.

The whole thing looks like being a huge waste of money, not that these stupid people will concern themselves about that. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Dorset has relatively little DC. I would imagine that they will target these as some have been reduced from 70mph to 50mph, some of it against the advice of the Police. :evil:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Return to General Car Chat Forum