IAM 50th anniversary event RAF Colerne 1st July

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Just wondering if there are any updates on this. Probably will attend, quite a drive for me, but hey, hope it's worth the day out.
Darren

Postby martine » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:30 pm

Darren,

Yes it's as described...see below copied from a recent press release...sorry about the lack of formatting!

It would be great to see you but I realise it's a long way and England could be playing a 4pm!

BATH + BRISTOL + CIRENCESTER + MELKSHAM + SALISBURY
ADVANCED MOTORISTS AND MOTORCYCLISTS
10am to 4pm
Saturday 1st July 2006

FREE ADMISSION and FREE ‘DRIVING CHALLENGE’
Celebrating 50 years of driving road safety in the UK, five local IAM Groups have joined forces to organise a spectacular fun day out for all the family with off-road driving open to all. There will be a huge range of vehicles on display, some of which you can drive yourself in the ‘Anniversary Driving Challenge’ which is a fun chance to show your skills.
There is an excellent range of activities planned including many types of vehicle which you can drive for yourself. Try your skills at manoeuvring including reversing, parking between vehicles, parking beside a kerb and slalom. For Motorcyclists there will be an opportunity for riding assessments undertaken by Advanced Motorcyclist Observers.
Fancy driving an HGV? Well, take the ‘Driving Challenge’ and have a go on a range of vehicles including a 40ft articulated lorry.
Wiltshire Safety Camera Partnership will be manning a stand and also running the ‘Blind Speed Challenge’. This is your chance to drive one of the on-site cars at a steady 30mph with the Speedo covered up! Using a radar gun the Partnership will accurately measure your speed. Have a go and see how well you can do!
Emergency services from Avon & Somerset will be there and fire appliances from 12 Station Bath plus a chip pan fire demonstration. Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service will also be attending with their Major Rescue Tender, plus their trailer with a crashed car for demonstration and a ‘retired’ fire tender for people to drive.
Radio Controlled Cars – The Chippenham Model Car Club will be present and have thrown down the gauntlet to Bristol and Swindon Clubs for a challenge.
This is a major event which is open to all members of the public including children. It promises to be an excellent family fun day out so spread the word and tell your friends and work colleagues. Everyone who is either interested in just having fun and experiencing something new or those with an interest in cars and motorbikes will have a thoroughly enjoyable day.
Put the date in your diary because this is the fun motoring event of the year and please remember to bring your driving licence!

•CLASSIC CARS •TRADE STANDS •LIVE MUSIC FROM THE
•MERCEDES TRUCKS •MARIUS BAND •RED CROSS DISPLAYS
•HGVS YOU CAN DRIVE •BATH ‘BENDY-BUS’ YOU CAN DRIVE•ROAD SAFETY OFFICERS
•MINI-MOTORBIKES AND QUADS •MANOEUVRING COMPETITION
•WILTSHIRE FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE
•G.W.R. BLACK THUNDERS •DRIVING CHALLENGE
•AVON & SOMERSET FIRE SERVICE
•RADIO CONTROLLED MODEL CARS
•MOTORCYCLES ASSESSED RIDES
•REFRESHMENTS

BATH BRISTOL CIRENCESTER MELKSHAM SALISBURY Advanced Motorists are all Registered Charities

Postby DaveE » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:52 pm

Hope the event doesn't suffer as a result of the England match at 4pm. we'll be certainly be there.

I'll have three kids in tow (8, 7 and 5) so I'm glad to see it's a family event - is there anything specifically for children?
DaveE

Postby martine » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:16 pm

Mini motorbikes, quads, possibly r/c cars, several displays and sweets!

I am sure the crowd will disappear after lunch to watch England VS Portugal but at least we can get the site tidy! Hope to see you -ask of the main control point near the entrance and don't forget to bring your driving licence.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:29 pm

Guys,

Would love to come. If we are going to disappear somewhere at 4pm to watch the game, is there a pub in mind where we could all go?

Darren
Darren

Postby martine » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:40 pm

Darren wrote:Guys,

Would love to come. If we are going to disappear somewhere at 4pm to watch the game, is there a pub in mind where we could all go?

Darren

Darren,

Sorry I don't know the area so couldn't recommend one - Colerne village is quite small but Bath is only 10 mins away. I won't be able to partake I'm afraid as I'll be needed clearing the site etc. It would be good to meet during the day though.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 pm

martine wrote:Sorry I don't know the area so couldn't recommend one - Colerne village is quite small but Bath is only 10 mins away. I won't be able to partake I'm afraid as I'll be needed clearing the site etc. It would be good to meet during the day though.

Anybody else pottering along to this? I was thinking getting there around late morning, spend a few hours there, then go watch the game, then come home (after England have obviously beaten the Portugese).

I've got a nose for these things, I'll find a pub to watch the footy :-)
Darren

Postby James » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:51 pm

I would love to join you.

However I am working. :cry:
James

Postby DaveE » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Darren wrote:....... If we are going to disappear somewhere at 4pm to watch the game, is there a pub in mind where we could all go?

Not in Colerne or Ford, Bath is 20 mins.

The leisure centre in Chippenham have a special event - big screen and license, follow signs to the the Olympiad (just past the railway station).

Alternatively there are several pubs in the town centre that will be showing the game.
DaveE

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:31 pm

DaveE wrote:Not in Colerne or Ford, Bath is 20 mins.

The leisure centre in Chippenham have a special event - big screen and license, follow signs to the the Olympiad (just past the railway station).

Alternatively there are several pubs in the town centre that will be showing the game.

Hmmm, Bath is the wrong direction for me. I'm coming over from Slough so don't really want to go further West. I suppose I could leave around 2.30pm and get home in time to see the game.
Darren

Postby martine » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:46 pm

Well the IAM 'driving challenge' happened! Got back from clearing up in time to watch the end of the footy (sorry to mention it!) and I thoroughy enjoyed the day even though numbers were disappointing (poor publicity and something called England Vs Portugal I would think).

The people that I spoke to seemed to be having a good day with the queues for driving the Artic, Fire Engine and bendy-bus being the longest. It was excellent to meet up with Darren and 'Mr. Toad' and put faces to handles. If any other ADUK people were there thanks for coming and hope you enjoyed it also.

I got to drive the Artic, Fire engine and 8-wheeler - which was a 'proper' lorry with a proper manual gearbox (the rest being autos). Wow the 40' artic was big but super easy to drive on an airfield. I'm sure driving it on the road is a different ball-game though.

There is talk of doing another one before another 50 years has passed so watch this space!
martine

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Yep, yep, A good day had. I listened to the first half of the footy on the radio on the way back, managed to see the second half at home.

Can't decide which was the most fun, driving the Fire Engine round the airfield, or taking on the young un's on the Radio Controlled Cars ! :-)

On the other hand, the country roads in that area are superb, I quite enjoyed the A420 on the way to Castle Coombe on the way back....lots of fun.
Darren

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum