Fitting a digital thermometer

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby mitchr » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm

My car doesn't have a built in thermometer so I've bought one of the digital thermometers that tells you the inside and outside temperature. Unfortunately the installation instructions are seriously lacking in any kind of instruction.

It has two wires attached, one which gives internal temp and one for external temp. Where is the best place to locate the wires without running the risk of getting tangled in them? The external cable has a bit of plastic on the end with a sticky pad attached.

Any idea's? I can try and upload photo's if that would help.

Cheers,
Mitch
mitchr

Postby Angus » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:51 pm

By the sound of it, you've got one that is designed for use in a house :?:

The sensor in my car is somewhere around the front wheel arch, where engine heat and air flow won't effect the reading.

But I have to ask why you've bothered? You're in Scotland. It's winter. It will be freezing :D
Angus

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 pm

At the very least - lick fingers, window down, fingers out and confirm it's freezing!
Octy_Ross

Postby jont » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:At the very least - lick fingers, window down, fingers out and confirm it's freezing!

What do you mean window down :roll: Haven't you got the roof off? :P Must be raining in that case, so above 0. :lol:
jont

Postby mitchr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Angus wrote:By the sound of it, you've got one that is designed for use in a house :?:

The sensor in my car is somewhere around the front wheel arch, where engine heat and air flow won't effect the reading.

But I have to ask why you've bothered? You're in Scotland. It's winter. It will be freezing :D

Angus, it says on the packaging that its for a car but since it doesn't come with instructions I'm doubtful if it really is for the car :roll: I think the sensor on this one would stretch to the front wheel arch but I really don't want wires all over the place so I'll probably just send the thing back :)

Oh and I'll have you know it sometimes gets to 3 degree's in Scotland :wink:

Mitch
mitchr

Postby mitchr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:At the very least - lick fingers, window down, fingers out and confirm it's freezing!

Frost bite set's in too quickly at our low temps :wink:
mitchr

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

It's never too cold to have the roof down - you just need more clothes :D

As for the thermometer sensor - can't you run the wire through the bulkhead with the other wires? Depending on the make and model, this shouldn't be too hard to achieve.
Octy_Ross

Postby mitchr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:As for the thermometer sensor - can't you run the wire through the bulkhead with the other wires? Depending on the make and model, this shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

If I knew what the bulkhead was then it might be a possibility :wink: Its a Hyundai Getz.
mitchr

Postby Octy_Ross » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Interestingly I have a RHD Hyundai i20 - it has a thermo built in, but a quick look suggests that there would be a handy "route" through to the engine bay at the front between the front wing and A pillar. I'm not sure how similar the Getz is, but would suspect there'd be something similar. It does depend how big the sensor is. By the way which model is it / where'd you get it from?

Perhaps we need Gareths help, he's the route master, after all ;-)
Octy_Ross

Postby mitchr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Interestingly I have a RHD Hyundai i20 - it has a thermo built in, but a quick look suggests that there would be a handy "route" through to the engine bay at the front between the front wing and A pillar. I'm not sure how similar the Getz is, but would suspect there'd be something similar. It does depend how big the sensor is. By the way which model is it / where'd you get it from?

Perhaps we need Gareths help, he's the route master, after all ;-)

I've kind of abandoned the idea of fitting the digital thermometer as I don't want to start fiddling around with the wires in the car in case I do something daft :) The digital thermometer is from MotionPerformance here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Thermom ... 335&sr=1-1

Mitch
mitchr

Return to General Car Chat Forum