Introducing Myself

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby foxtrot_mike » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm

This is my first post to introduce myself

I am in the process of trying to gain my D1 minibus licence but I have, for several reasons come across some stumbling blocks for various reasons which ill explain later but i have failed the test twice and i feel Im struggling with intensive courses.

However I want to improve my driving some more, a small part of the reason for taking the D1 was to improve my driving but on reflection Im wondering now whether it was probably worth going through IAM 1st.

I want to learn some more advance driving techniques some more, Im the sort of person who likes to learn at my own pace (hence one of the stumbling blocks) and Im finding that research into D1 courses or IAM courses dont seems to fit in with that therefore I would like to learn by reading books / online literature as Im not ready to take an intensive course yet and want to take my time more.

I have brought the IAM book which is really good

So i hope that this forum can give me some advice, which it seems to be very good at so far.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby vonhosen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:06 am

foxtrot_mike wrote:This is my first post to introduce myself

I am in the process of trying to gain my D1 minibus licence but I have, for several reasons come across some stumbling blocks for various reasons which ill explain later but i have failed the test twice and i feel Im struggling with intensive courses.

However I want to improve my driving some more, a small part of the reason for taking the D1 was to improve my driving but on reflection Im wondering now whether it was probably worth going through IAM 1st.

I want to learn some more advance driving techniques some more, Im the sort of person who likes to learn at my own pace (hence one of the stumbling blocks) and Im finding that research into D1 courses or IAM courses dont seems to fit in with that therefore I would like to learn by reading books / online literature as Im not ready to take an intensive course yet and want to take my time more.

I have brought the IAM book which is really good

So i hope that this forum can give me some advice, which it seems to be very good at so far.

Hi & welcome.

What you'll learn with further (advanced) car training will benefit you on the D1, although the D1 is obviously around the DSA system.

What have you been finding problematic on the D1 ?
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby foxtrot_mike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am

vonhosen wrote:
Hi & welcome.

What you'll learn with further (advanced) car training will benefit you on the D1, although the D1 is obviously around the DSA system.

Mainly to do with tireness and the scheduling of training tests, I was doing 3 hours training on test day which was clearly no good for me.

Secondly I had a few concerns about my instructor.

Both of these are due to be changed but Im not liking the nature of the lessons, ie booking a test and scheduling the lessons before that but it seems like thats the way it work.

I do feel that my last fail was due to tiredness and associated mindset before the test but the reasons for failure on test was due to planning / use of speed I need the confidence to know that this is in order.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:16 am

If you are willing to invest the time in IAM or Rospa training before going back to D1, you will get help with precisely those areas (not the fatigue one, you will have to manage that one yourself) and you will probably also be able to progress at your own pace. You may have read about the IAM system elsewhere so I don't want to explain it here from scratch. The relevant point is that most training is done in a series of one to one sessions of about one and a half hours each, with gaps between to practice generally of one to four weeksand you can take as many such sessions as you need; and you can take as many such sessions as you need without any further cost, since your training is done by a volunteer. In some areas it will be possible for you to take the sessions in a minibus, if you have the use of one.
waremark

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 am

foxtrot_mike wrote: Im the sort of person who likes to learn at my own pace (hence one of the stumbling blocks) and Im finding that research into D1 courses or IAM courses dont seems to fit in with that

My group does not have set courses for associates - it has 1 to 1 drives with the same observer every time and there are no limits to the number of runs or the time taken.

How do the IAM do it in your area?

D1 minibus training can be done in many ways - you have to tell a school what you want and see if they can accomodate you - if not - go elsewhere.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:45 am

Well hello and welcome :)

If you can spare the time...definitely do an IAM or ROSPA course first as I'm sure it will help. You do need to be aware however it usually takes 4 - 12 months elapsed time (depending on your experience, learning style and keeness to practice). If you need your D1 quickly then I'd hunt around for an instructor and structure more suited to you.

Any specific questions about driving...there's loads of good peeps here...all questions are treated with respect and you will get great advice.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby foxtrot_mike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Time is not an issue, I am taking the D1 for the voluntary sector so Im not compelled to do it but Im very keen to get it, there is howver a concern that I may lose the skills gained from past D1 lessons but im not sure if this is entirely true.

I am still waiting to hear back from the School with regards to booking more lessons and test so any descision will revolve around that, i havent decided whether to chase them yet.

If that fails then Ill have to think again and look again at my options.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby Flexibase » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:25 pm

You could try my Advanced Driving computer CD, which has Minibus sections, from www.flexibase.freeserve.co.uk/power_poi ... tions.html
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby MGF » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi,

I drive a minibus for the education sector under the 'section 17' exemption and also wanted to do the D1 minibus test for the sake of it. I had already passed my IAM test, took the DSA theory test but never got round to attending an assessment with a minibus driving school.

I can heartily recommend doing an advanced driving course. I have found my advanced driving experience makes my driving less stressful and more enjoyable for me and more comfortable for my passengers. Hopefully I am less of a risk as well. Other advantages of AD are that you can do it at your own pace and it doesn't cost too much.

Some IAM groups offer preparation for the adavnced minibus test as well. If you drive for the voluntary sector wouldn't it be better to have minibus lessons less often and practice what you have learned during your volunteer driving?
MGF

Postby Russ_H » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:08 pm

foxtrot_mike wrote:
vonhosen wrote:
Hi & welcome.

Mainly to do with tireness and the scheduling of training tests, I was doing 3 hours training on test day which was clearly no good for me.

Secondly I had a few concerns about my instructor.

Both of these are due to be changed but Im not liking the nature of the lessons, ie booking a test and scheduling the lessons before that but it seems like thats the way it work.

I do feel that my last fail was due to tiredness and associated mindset before the test but the reasons for failure on test was due to planning / use of speed I need the confidence to know that this is in order.

The ideal way to obtain a new category is to take lessons until you have reached, or preferably surpassed,
the required standard, and then to book a test.

Most driving instructors would be overjoyed to have a client who thought like this. If your training company
can't meet your needs, don't hesitate to change.

Regards,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby foxtrot_mike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Russ_H wrote:
The ideal way to obtain a new category is to take lessons until you have reached, or preferably surpassed,
the required standard, and then to book a test.

Most driving instructors would be overjoyed to have a client who thought like this. If your training company
can't meet your needs, don't hesitate to change.

The impression I have had is that this seems to be common practice in the PCV training schools round here

I have asked if i can do a lesson before booking a test but that was refused so as you can imagine im not impressed but there doesnt seem to be an awful lot of D1 schools around here in Cornwall, some of them seem to run off the back of L test schools :roll: .

It would seem to give me more options if i went for getting a full D licence and would probably give me a wider choice and a firm that is experienced in giving PCV instruction, just need to learn to drive a house instead!

But if i did that I would consider gaining AD first.
IAM Member
Cornwall
foxtrot_mike

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:05 pm

If it's use of speed/planning you are struggling with you can develop that through car training. IAM or Rospa would be worthwhile for you. Use the class D lessons for adjusting to the larger vehicle.
zadocbrown

Return to General Car Chat Forum