IAM launches Road Safety Manifesto

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 am

A decent press release I reckon from the IAM (for a change)...what do others think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) has today published its Road Safety Manifesto for the upcoming
election, calling for urgent support from all political parties to promote driver and rider improvement on UK
roads.
Two of the more radical ideas in the IAM manifesto, which is designed to cut the unacceptable number of road
deaths and injuries every year, are new incentives for Chief Constables to provide high profile policing, and tax
breaks for companies offering their staff drivers further driver training.
“A lifelong approach to learning, delivered through advanced training, is the single biggest factor that can benefit
road safety,” said Simon Best, IAM Chief Executive.
“Human error is the biggest cause of crashes, so improving driver ability is the best way to deliver real
reductions in road deaths and injuries: better driver behaviour must be the key road safety priority for the next
ten years.
“Young drivers, older drivers, motorcyclists and business drivers are the groups that would benefit the most from
further training, and the IAM has solutions that could potentially improve their safety record,” added Mr Best.
The IAM calls for Government to play its part by providing simple incentives for those considering further
training such as tax breaks and VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) discounts, with any cost to the exchequer being
redeemed through savings from fewer crashes.
The IAM considers visible policing to be a much overlooked deterrent to reckless driving. More police on the
road will encourage good driver behaviour and deny the use of the of the road to a reckless minority.
ENDS
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MrToad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 pm

That's a bit more like it. I can't remember the last time an IAM communication put driver improvement front and centre like this.

Every time I've met someone from Head Office over the past eighteen months I've had a go at them about this, so perhaps the message is finally getting through. [/bighead]
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby ROG » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Still no financial carrot to entice anyone to change or improve so it's still just posturing
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Very encouraging for this to be put out in the name of the new Chief Exec. What do people know about him?
waremark

Postby martine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm

waremark wrote:Very encouraging for this to be put out in the name of the new Chief Exec. What do people know about him?

http://www.iam.org.uk/iam_key_personnel/iamchiefexecutivesimonbest.html

Simon Best has been an IAM group commitee member I believe.

I've met him and seen him speak a few times - seems like a nice enough chap and has some good ideas but I'm sure has a battle on his hands with some of his...ahem...'more traditional' colleagues in HQ and in the groups.

I sincerely hope he sticks in the job for a few years and drags the IAM away from the precipice.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to General Car Chat Forum