What next....?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby JConnors » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi there,

I have now passed the following Advance Driving tests and am wondering what is the else to do help me improving my skills.

- Car -
RoSPA - Gold since 2003
IAM - Passed in 2002
IAM Senior Observer (MKAM)

- Bike -
RoSPA - Gold, gained yesterday!!
IAM - Passed 9 days ago!!

IAM Observer for Bikes (MKAM) is on my list to do and I hopefully with have that before the Autumn. Just would like to know what else is out there. I am looking to put my skills to use out there, so if anyone has any need for me or knows of a Group/Company who I can assist then please let me know.

Cheers
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Club Driving or HPC would seem the next logical step if you're looking to improve your driving. RoSPA/RoADAR Diploma might be a good option if you're looking to improve your coaching or moving into Fleet training.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:49 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Club Driving or HPC would seem the next logical step if you're looking to improve your driving. RoSPA/RoADAR Diploma might be a good option if you're looking to improve your coaching or moving into Fleet training.

Chris

To move into fleet training you would need to be an ADI.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby redrobo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 pm

JConnors wrote:Hi there,

I have now passed the following Advance Driving tests and am wondering what is the else to do help me improving my skills.

- Car -
RoSPA - Gold since 2003
IAM - Passed in 2002
IAM Senior Observer (MKAM)

- Bike -
RoSPA - Gold, gained yesterday!!
IAM - Passed 9 days ago!!

IAM Observer for Bikes (MKAM) is on my list to do and I hopefully with have that before the Autumn. Just would like to know what else is out there. I am looking to put my skills to use out there, so if anyone has any need for me or knows of a Group/Company who I can assist then please let me know.

Cheers

Come along to one of these days.
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/transport/motorbikes.page
redrobo

Postby ROG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Try an IAM Special Assessment (£60) - that'll get your juices going - needs one of the examiners to train you
Test taken with IAM Staff examiner but not in your normal area.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Horse » Sat May 01, 2010 1:51 pm

In terms of vehicle skills, and in particular 'bike', consider:

BMW off-road school in Wales, 2 days on their GS models, learning loose surface skills
Hopp Tider Training
i2i

All of those will offer an alternative to traditional R/c-based training and testing.

If you're looking to use those skills to aid others, then the decisions to make now are pro/am, and bike or car?

eg It's 'pro' and 'car', then you'll really need to be an ADI (supposedly even for off-road skid or 4x4 courses, but it seems to be a legal grey area DSA don't really want - yet - to control).

'Pro bike', at post-test, you'll really need to be on the DSA post-test register. Enjoy . . . :roll:

Either way, as well as whatever formal (ADI etc) or informal (IAM Obs) training you get, look outside for coaching skills, and other trainer training, such as NLP. If you're in MK, look on the Newbury College web site for the one-day NLP intros they run - well worth the trip and (relatively small) cost.

Worth noting that all your curent tests are at post-test level, and at relatively high skill levels. You perhaps need to think how you'd cope if you get a trainee or associate with poor basic control skills. You'd need the ability to breakdown into building blocks etc and be able to work on those areas.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Custom24 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:59 pm

JConnors wrote:what is the else to do help me improving my skills.

You might consider coming along to an ADUK driving day. You can both improve your skills and help others.
Custom24

Return to General Car Chat Forum