points on your licence!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue May 04, 2010 12:15 am

Hi

Im not sure if ive mentioned this...but a week or so ago I did something stupid :oops: :oops: ...well actually ive had a couple of weeks of doing lots of stupid things :lol: :lol: ....anyway what I did was reverse into a one-way street....going the wrong way :oops: :oops: ...it was in the middle of the town centre so I know there will be cameras there....two things I want to know....ive waited patiently for over a week and nothing has come through the post. If it does will I automatically get points on me licence for it???

The other question is a friend of mine commented that if I was to get any points I would no longer be able to be a member of RoSPA...is this correct???
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby vonhosen » Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:Hi

Im not sure if ive mentioned this...but a week or so ago I did something stupid :oops: :oops: ...well actually ive had a couple of weeks of doing lots of stupid things :lol: :lol: ....anyway what I did was reverse into a one-way street....going the wrong way :oops: :oops: ...it was in the middle of the town centre so I know there will be cameras there....two things I want to know....ive waited patiently for over a week and nothing has come through the post. If it does will I automatically get points on me licence for it???

The other question is a friend of mine commented that if I was to get any points I would no longer be able to be a member of RoSPA...is this correct???

You'll only get points where dealt with via the Police (that would be through the FPN system or summons).

Depending on where this happened it may be that the offence has been taken over by (& camera operated by) local authorities. In that case penalty would be via the PCN system which would result in a fine only, no points.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue May 04, 2010 12:33 am

vonhosen wrote:Depending on where this happened it may be that the offence has been taken over by (& camera operated by) local authorities. In that case penalty would be via the PCN system which would result in a fine only, no points.

It was in the town centre...one of the back roads that has a few disabled parking spaces (thats what I was after), so I would imagine its one of the local authority cameras. I can cope with a fine....after all it was my own stupid fault :oops: :oops: ...just dont want to get ANY points on my licence...EVER!!...will take more care in future :wink:

Thanks for that :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue May 04, 2010 6:55 am

I don't believe you would lose your RoSPA membership because of 3 points.

If there is a camera, would it take enough photos to actually prove you went through the No Entry signs?

I believe that a pcn has to be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby PeterE » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

I've never heard of cameras enforcing one-way streets anyway – presumably anyone doing what you did would be a rare occurrence so it wouldn't be worth their while. You would only run the risk of prosecution if a police officer witnessed the manoeuvre at the time.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Horse » Tue May 04, 2010 12:07 pm

PeterE wrote:I've never heard of cameras enforcing one-way streets

In London this type of enforcement (mainly bus lanes and 'no right turn') is done by CCTV operators.

Sonia: did you actually reverse past the signs?

I recently did a 'three point' turn by initially reversing into the throat of such a junction - but made sure I stayed 'outside' of the signs, as - presumably - that's where the legally enforced area commences?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue May 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Horse wrote:Sonia: did you actually reverse past the signs?

yes I did :oops: :oops: ....I drove down the one way street looking for a space...only one available about the same size as me car...with my reversing I thought better not try :lol: :lol: ...so drove past, came to the end of the road and turned left, as I turned left I stopped, looked back behind me and realised I should of tried to get in that space else I had nowhere else to go...and would have to rejoin the DC.....so I decided...wrongly :oops: ...to reverse back round the corner...through the no-entry signs and warning signs, and back about 4 car lengths to the available space!!
x-Sonia-x

Return to General Car Chat Forum