Intelligent tyres.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I've just read this on Piston Heads. Could be a good idea.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/defau ... ryId=21864
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

fungus wrote:I've just read this on Piston Heads. Could be a good idea.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/news/defau ... ryId=21864

More technocrap. 'Tis only to be expected.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Daaave » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 pm

TripleS wrote:More technocrap. 'Tis only to be expected.

Don't be such a luddite! Enjoy technology, it may meander along the way and result in a few less useful products; but just think how different your life would be if we were all only able to take the piss out of your steering technique whilst you rode your penny farthing... :wink: :lol:
Daaave

Postby gannet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 pm

It all sounds like a good idea in principle...

I will reserve judgement for now though having nearly been burnt once by DSC...
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby GJD » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:10 pm

It doesn't appear to solve any problem I worry greatly about so it had better not make my tyres any more expensive.
GJD

Postby gannet » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 pm

GJD wrote:It doesn't appear to solve any problem I worry greatly about so it had better not make my tyres any more expensive.

a very good point, my wallet hurts enough buying Run-flat tyres for the Z4 :o

but for the those drivers that don't check their tyres regularly it could be a good thing - ie alerting them to uneven wear etc?

it's the proposed links to the car stability systems that scare me.
-- Gannet.
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby GJD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:05 am

gannet wrote:but for the those drivers that don't check their tyres regularly it could be a good thing - ie alerting them to uneven wear etc?

Only if they chose to fit 'intelligent' tyres in preference to 'normal' tyres. Would someone who doesn't check their tyres for themself go out of their way to fit an intelligent tyre to do the job for them? They'd have to:
    a) recognise that there might be some benefit to checking their tyres and
    b) not be doing it already.
I wonder whether many people are both a) and b). They seem a bit mutually exclusive to me.

gannet wrote:it's the proposed links to the car stability systems that scare me.

I don't think I'm concerned by that. Presuming that a stability control system of some sort already exists, giving it additional information to work with seems unlikely to be detrimental.
GJD

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:25 am

GJD wrote:Only if they chose to fit 'intelligent' tyres in preference to 'normal' tyres. Would someone who doesn't check their tyres for themself go out of their way to fit an intelligent tyre to do the job for them? They'd have to:
I wonder whether many people are both a) and b). They seem a bit mutually exclusive to me.

I suspect that when buying tyres, cost is by far the biggest consideration for most people and until "intelligent" tyres become cheaper than the alternatives or required by law (and thus the only option), I can't see there being a massive take up.

Perhaps I'm wearing my cynical hat today :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby gannet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58 am

GJD wrote:
gannet wrote:but for the those drivers that don't check their tyres regularly it could be a good thing - ie alerting them to uneven wear etc?

Only if they chose to fit 'intelligent' tyres in preference to 'normal' tyres. Would someone who doesn't check their tyres for themself go out of their way to fit an intelligent tyre to do the job for them? They'd have to:

Depends how it is implemented I suppose. If the car expects them to be fitted, it could limit the max speed or other parameters if they aren't fitted. Not a solution I would advocate however...

Quite a few people over on z4-forum have switched their Run-flats to non-runflat tyres for varying reasons, a main one being cost - for example you can buy 4 reasonable 'normal' tyres for my car for £400, whereas a set of rear runflat tyres alone is just shy of £500, a full set being nearer £1000. Give it 5 years or so and every car will be running on runflats though and the cost should come down (well here's hoping :D ).

GJD wrote:
gannet wrote:it's the proposed links to the car stability systems that scare me.

I don't think I'm concerned by that. Presuming that a stability control system of some sort already exists, giving it additional information to work with seems unlikely to be detrimental.

It is the increasing reliance on technology with DSC/ESP etc etc that worries me - especially having had a very scary episode where the car decided to overrule my driving obviously thinking I was out of control when I really wasn't and was actually trying to avoid a dangerous situation making me have to do the manoeuvre twice :o I am in the minority on that though I realise!
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby GJD » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
GJD wrote:Only if they chose to fit 'intelligent' tyres in preference to 'normal' tyres. Would someone who doesn't check their tyres for themself go out of their way to fit an intelligent tyre to do the job for them? They'd have to:

I suspect that when buying tyres, cost is by far the biggest consideration for most people and until "intelligent" tyres become cheaper than the alternatives or required by law (and thus the only option), I can't see there being a massive take up.

Perhaps I'm wearing my cynical hat today :D

Chris

Of course. Despite what I wrote, personal choice is not the only way intelligent tyres might end up on one's car. Nanny might one day make them compulsory.

I was well aware of that possibility, but I wasn't wearing my cynical hat at the time :D
GJD

Postby waremark » Sat May 01, 2010 7:58 pm

gannet wrote:It is the increasing reliance on technology with DSC/ESP etc etc that worries me - especially having had a very scary episode where the car decided to overrule my driving obviously thinking I was out of control when I really wasn't and was actually trying to avoid a dangerous situation making me have to do the manoeuvre twice :o I am in the minority on that though I realise!

Would you tell us more about his incident?
waremark

Postby zadocbrown » Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 pm

waremark wrote:
gannet wrote:It is the increasing reliance on technology with DSC/ESP etc etc that worries me - especially having had a very scary episode where the car decided to overrule my driving obviously thinking I was out of control when I really wasn't and was actually trying to avoid a dangerous situation making me have to do the manoeuvre twice :o I am in the minority on that though I realise!

+1

How long before 'intelligent driver' becomes standard equipment?

Or will the fitment of 'intelligent big brother' as a legal requirement render this 'unnecessary'...? :roll:
zadocbrown

Postby Gromit37 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:53 pm

zadocbrown wrote:How long before 'intelligent driver' becomes standard equipment?

It depends on whether you believe in miracles. If you do, then it could be anytime. Otherwise, you'll probably be seeing intelligent cup holders with built in drinks dispenser before then :wink:
Gromit37

Postby gannet » Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm

waremark wrote:

I will try...

I forget the road numbers etc involved but, I came off a roundabout following a few other cars which I had been looking to overtake for some time. The road we came off the roundabout onto went down quite a long hill which had a crawler lane mainly for use by vehicles coming up the hill but the road markings indicated that it could be used for those going down the hill. There was NOTHING coming up the hill so I went to overtake :D Got past 2 of the cars when a couple of cars appeared round the bend at the bottom - I could have pushed on and taken the 3rd but decided on caution so had to brake quite hard and pull in behind the remaining 3rd car... All went to plan until I then found myself *back* out in the overtaking position :o and thus in the way of one of the cars coming up the hill who was now overtaking the other... Needless to say I then had to do the whole thing again (pulling in behind the last car and braking).

There is simply no other explanation for this other than the car's electronic systems be they the Brake force Distribution System or the Stability control system deigned that I was in trouble and had gone off the intended course.

Simply frightening to think of what could have happened had there been less room :o

The car I was driving at the time was a 2003 Peugeot 206 GTi
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby waremark » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks for the description of the event. I wonder whether anyone can explain what you experienced. In general, stability control systems are designed to make the car go where you steer, and they would help an emergency brake and steer manoeuvre.
waremark

Return to General Car Chat Forum