A few tips on driving in Poland

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby WS » Tue May 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi
I recently came from Poland to the UK to do the IAM training (currently under way, with many thanks to jcochrane, vanman and other Observers from the East Surrey IAM for all their help so far!) and realised that there are quite a few differences between the driving environment in my country and the UK. There are a lot of people from the UK visiting Poland these days, sometimes in their own cars, and sometimes hiring cars on the spot. I thought that if anyone on this forum ever plans going to Poland and driving there, a few tips might be useful. I definitely did need this kind of information when I started driving here. So here goes, and I hope you find it useful one day:

The Polish Highway Code
Apart from the obvious difference, which is the right-hand traffic, there are a few other important differences compared to the UK which are worth knowing:
1. Speed limits are different: motorway 130 km/h, double-carriageway expressway 110 km/h, single-carriageway expressway 100 km/h, double-carriageway 100 km/h, single-carriageway 90 km/h, built-up area (there is a special sign for it /black town skyline against white background/, and street lighting does not mean any speed limit) 50 km/h between 5am-11pm and 60 km/h between 11pm-5am.
2. On unmarked/unsigned crossroads or those signed as ‘nobody has right of way’ (warning sign with a cross) you need to give way to the vehicles on your right-hand side. The same applies to three-lane roads where two vehicles want to simultaneously enter the middle lane from the inside and outside lanes (give way to those on the right).
3. The use of headlights or daytime running lights is compulsory at all times of the day and year.
4. Speed limits and ‘no overtaking’ signs are cancelled either by a cancellation sign (the crossed round sign looking like the UK’s ‘national speed limit’ sign or a crossed speed limit/crossed no overtaking sign) or by a crossroads/junction.
5. Green filter arrow has a different meaning. It is displayed with a red light only and means “compulsory stop at the stop line and give way to pedestrians and traffic on the road you are entering”. Once you have given way to pedestrians and other traffic, you may proceed.
6. “Arrow” traffic lights: they are used at more complex junctions. If a green arrow light is displayed, it means that the way in that direction is completely free from any other traffic (which is then stopped at red lights) and you can go.
7. You will sometimes (very rarely) encounter roundabouts which are not signed with a “give way” sign, but only with the blue round roundabout sign. On these, the vehicles on the roundabout must give way to the vehicles on their right, i.e. those entering the roundabout.
8. Your vehicle needs to be equipped with a fire extinguisher and a warning triangle.

Driving culture
1. Polish drivers are, unfortunately, in the habit of speeding even in the most risky places, such as the vicinity of schools or pedestrian areas. They are not very tolerant of drivers who want to obey speed limits, either, and will often tailgate and try to pressurize them to speed up. Most notably it applies to HGVs which barely slow down when entering a built-up area (unless it’s a big city).
2. Apart from speed limits, other rules that are often ignored are those related to overtaking: you will quite frequently see vehicles (including lorries) overtaking on double white lines and in other places where it is prohibited, dangerous or unreasonable, such as pedestrian crossings or junctions. You really have to be extra careful and make allowances for that. It is safe not to assume that other drivers/riders may overtake pretty much everywhere.
3. Other rules, such as right of way, or parking, are usually adhered to.

Roads
1. Poland has few motorways and double-carriageways. Many major roads go through the middle of towns or cities as there are few bypasses. If you want to travel more than 300-400 km, it may make more sense to take a train, because travelling by car may take a lot of time as traffic on most roads is usually quite dense. If you have sat nav, it may be better to use minor roads – much nicer (views/sightseeing) and sometimes quicker thanks to less intense traffic.
2. In general the condition of the roads is acceptable, although you may still encounter some roads whose surface is quite uneven or ‘potholy’. However, all roads are driveable, some may only be less comfortable to drive on but most will not be much worse than those in the UK. Only the signposting is often poor, especially in the countryside.
3. There are practically no single-lane roads and most local roads will be wider and less twisty than a typical British (English?) country road.
4. On local/minor roads, it is quite normal to encounter open level crossings, without barriers or lights. Obviously you have to stop at these to check if the train isn’t coming .
5. Many big cities use trams as a means of public transport – they have to be treated just like in the UK – you have to give way to them unless the tram is emerging from a road and waiting at a “give way” sign.

Other
1. From October to the end of March it is highly advisable to use winter tyres, as you may encounter snow in this period. Snow is usually removed from major roads (or melted away with salt) within a few hours after it stops falling. However minor roads may be covered with snow for as many as several days after snowfall. Usually the most snowy months are end of December, January and February.
2. Safety-wise, in the biggest cities it is a good idea to lock the car if you think that you may be stationary e.g. at traffic lights for an extended period of time – beware of muggers, who may be attracted by foreign numberplates.
3. Car theft has fallen very significantly in the past 5-10 years but obviously normal safety rules apply – it may be risky to e.g. leave your car with valuables inside if you are in a big city, or leave it for the night in an unguarded car park – foreign numberplates or an expensive car may attract car thieves.
4. From time to time, you may encounter the police, often hidden by a tree or some other object, with a portable speed camera. You may be warned by oncoming drivers that the police is ahead (they will flash their lights to tell you that) but this is not a rule. The highest fine you can pay for a single traffic offence such as speeding is equivalent to approx. GBP 250.

I hope it will turn out to be useful if anyone on this forum ever happens to drive in Poland. Any questions, I will be happy to help!
Regards from Poland
Wojtek
WS

Return to General Car Chat Forum